Causal structure of spacetime: intuitive reason for non-compactness?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether space-time can be compact and the implications of such a scenario. It is concluded that space-time cannot be compact due to the possibility of closed time-like curves. The article mentioned by the author may provide further insight into this topic. The conversation also mentions a proof by George Jones and a discussion of Wald's book on GR.
jarlostensen
Apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered somewhere else, I searched but could not find anything.

I just wanted to verify if my intuitive understanding of why space time (if it is to be physically plausible) can not be compact.

According to Hawking and Ellis (and others) space time can not be compact because it would allow for the existence of closed time like curves. I understand (I think) that argument based on limit points, or accumulation points, which define a (sequence) compact space and how this allows such curves to exist.

Now, is it also correct, and much simpler, to assume that *if* space time was compact, this would imply "special" points in space time (i.e. the limit points) which breaks the principle of relativity, somehow...?

I.e. if space time is compact, then there exists an arbitrary number of points which are the accumulation points for sequences of time like curves and (ignoring *completely* the closed-timelike curve problem) this would imply that geodesics would be influenced by other things than just mass/energy (as the causal argument is independent of any solution to Einstein's field equations.)

Or am I very very far off on a tangent indeed..?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder if the following will help:
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1005/1005.2591v1.pdf

The author, Paul Kinlaw, recently finished his PhD in math and talked about it where I am. Its a bit mathy (essentially a topology paper) but I think it addresses what you're interested into some degree. The problems he's interested in were originally motivated in physics but he's a few degrees removed and so has some trouble fielding those types of questions. I straddle math and physics but have yet to really study GR (soon...very soon).

I hope it helps.

Thank you for your response, the article looks very interesting and I'm rolling up my sleeves and digging into it! If I get to some sort of epiphany I'll post a follow up.

jarlostensen said:
According to Hawking and Ellis (and others) space time can not be compact because it would allow for the existence of closed time like curves.
George Jones posted the proof of this part (or most of it anyway) here.

Thanks Fredrik, I was following Wald's book on GR plus what I could gleam from "The Large Scale Structure of Space Time" on Google books - I think George Jones' reply that you refer to is very clear and helpful - I'm going to wrap my head around this last part in particular (I think it holds a clue to the epiphany I need to get to):
...Consequently, p_1 is in I+(p_1), i.e., there exists a smooth, future-directed timelike curve from p_1 to p_1.

I.e. that a finite subcover and, perhaps on an equally fundamental level, that "M" is Hausdorff, means that points will inevitably lie in their own chronological- and causal -future.

Perhaps this has some relevance to my starting point, i.e. that this also implies that space has some sort of "preferred structure" which would imply non-matter originating effects which could not be encoded in the Einstein tensor and hence are unphysical (leading to compact space times being unphysical) - but that part is still something I'm trying to understand (and I am starting to suspect that it's just plain wrong)

1. What is the causal structure of spacetime?

The causal structure of spacetime refers to the way in which events in the universe are causally related to one another. This includes the concept of causality, where one event directly causes another, as well as the notion of the speed of light being the maximum speed at which information can travel in the universe.

2. What is the intuitive reason for non-compactness in the causal structure of spacetime?

The intuitive reason for non-compactness in the causal structure of spacetime is related to the fact that the universe is expanding. As the universe expands, objects and events are moving further apart from one another, meaning that the causal connections between them become weaker. This results in a non-compact causal structure where events can be causally disconnected from one another.

3. How does the non-compactness of the causal structure of spacetime affect our understanding of the universe?

The non-compactness of the causal structure of spacetime has a significant impact on our understanding of the universe. It allows for the possibility of events occurring without any causal connection to one another, and also means that we cannot observe or interact with some regions of the universe due to the limit of the speed of light. This can lead to limitations in our ability to fully understand the universe.

4. Are there any implications of the non-compactness of the causal structure of spacetime for time travel?

Yes, the non-compactness of the causal structure of spacetime has implications for time travel. The fact that events can be causally disconnected means that it would be impossible to travel to a location in the universe where time has already passed, as there would be no causal connection between that moment and the present. Additionally, the limit of the speed of light also means that traveling faster than the speed of light, which is required for time travel, is not possible.

5. How does the concept of non-compactness in the causal structure of spacetime relate to the theory of relativity?

The concept of non-compactness in the causal structure of spacetime is a key component of the theory of relativity. In fact, the notion that the speed of light is the maximum speed at which information can travel is a fundamental postulate of the theory. Additionally, the theory of relativity also explains how the non-compactness of spacetime allows for the possibility of causally disconnected events and the limitations it places on time travel.