Is Trial and Error the Only Method to Solve Cubic Equations?

In summary, the question is asking for a numerical solution to a cubic equation which is not possible due to the restrictions on B.
calky360
So I have pretty much finished the question, trying to determine "B" this is where i am at.

294/B^2 = 102.61B + 250.47

I found a very similar question in a book and they just skipped straight to answer saying trial and error was used.

Using trial and error I got approximately 0.92, however I'm not sure if this is a sufficient method to get full marks.

Any other way this can be solved that isn't trial and error?

Regards Callum.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you plot the lhs and rhs on a common graph, you will find it has only one (real) solution.

attachment.php?attachmentid=33779&stc=1&d=1301579311.png

Then, you can use a numerical method to find an approximate numerical solution, which seems fine because the coefficients are also given with finite precision. Specifically, you could use the iterative method. Solve for the [itex]B[/itex] on the lhs:

[tex]
B = \sqrt{\frac{294}{102.61 B + 250.47}} \equiv \varphi(B)
[/tex]

Take an initial guess [itex]B = 1[/itex] (the rhs is positive then) and use the iterative procedure to get successive approximations:

[tex]
B^{(n + 1)} = \varphi(B^{(n)})
[/tex]

We get:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
B^{(1)} = 0.912508894 \\

B^{(2)} = 0.924335701 \\

B^{(3)} = 0.92271007 \\

B^{(4)} = 0.922933009 \\

B^{(5)} = 0.922902426 \\

B^{(6)} = 0.922906621 \\

B^{(7)} = 0.922906046 \\

B^{(8)} = 0.922906125 \\

B^{(9)} = 0.922906114 \\

B^{(10)} = 0.922906115 \\

B^{(11)} = 0.922906115 \\
\end{align*}
[/tex]

In just 10 iterations we arrived at the numerical solution with 9 decimal places! You can use this solution to see that the original equation is satisfied.

EXTRA QUESTION:
Try to see what you would have gotten if you had used an iterative function obtained by solving for the [itex]B[/itex] found in the r.h.s. of your original equation!

Attachments

• plot1.png
    plot1.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 653
Theres a few method:
Classical mindless trail and error,
Newton Raphson Approx,
Cubic Formula.

I'm using another method:

[tex]F(a)=\int_{0}^{a}f(x)dx[/tex]
For b>a>0

We want to find [tex]\mid F(a) \mid > \mid F(b) \mid[/tex]
For x is in the interval if (a,b)

I've managed to find x is in between 0.92 and 0.925 within seconds...
(Because i know that the value of x is close to [tex]\sqrt{\frac{2.8625}{0.81366..}}=1.083[/tex] , Hence we can use 1.083 for the initial point for Newton method or this interval approx)

I take the mean of 0.92 and 0.925 which is about 0.9225 (U can even narrow the interval)

Last edited:
Multiplying by B^2 yields a cubic equation: 294 - 102.61B^3 - 250.47B^2 = 0

Answers must be checked in the original equation as the new equation has no restrictions on B

coolul007 said:
Multiplying by B^2 yields a cubic equation: 294 - 102.61B^3 - 250.47B^2 = 0

Answers must be checked in the original equation as the new equation has no restrictions on B

A cubic equation can be solved exactly as is shown on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_function.
However, I believe this will be outside the scope of your assigment.

1. Is trial and error the most effective method for problem-solving in science?

It depends on the nature of the problem. In some cases, trial and error may be the quickest and most efficient way to find a solution. However, other methods such as hypothesis testing and experimentation may also be effective in certain situations.

2. Why is trial and error considered a method of problem-solving in science?

Trial and error involves systematically trying various solutions until a successful result is achieved. This method allows for the testing of multiple hypotheses and can lead to the discovery of unexpected solutions.

3. Can trial and error lead to inaccurate or unreliable results?

Yes, trial and error can sometimes lead to inaccurate or unreliable results if the variables being tested are not controlled properly. It is important to carefully design experiments and control for any potential factors that could affect the outcome.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using trial and error in scientific research?

One drawback of trial and error is that it can be time-consuming and may require a significant amount of resources. Additionally, it may not always lead to a definitive answer, as there may be multiple solutions or factors at play that cannot be accounted for through this method alone.

5. How can scientists determine when trial and error is the best approach for problem-solving?

Scientists often evaluate the complexity of the problem and the available resources before deciding on the best approach for problem-solving. If the problem is relatively simple and resources are limited, trial and error may be a suitable method. However, for more complex problems, other methods may be more effective.