Deriving expression for capacitor voltage

In summary, the conversation is about a circuit problem involving a capacitor and a voltage source. The goal is to obtain an expression for the capacitor voltage at time t, given a step input voltage of 10V and an initial condition of 2V at t=0. The discussion mentions using KVL and solving for the voltage source, but the solver is struggling and asks for help.
Studious_stud

Homework Statement

t98aa0.jpg

For the following circuit, obtain an expression for the capacitor
voltage, vC(t), for time, t (greater than or equal to) 0 if vs(t) = 10 V and vC(0) = 2 V.

Homework Equations

KVL
Definite integrals, differentiation etc

The Attempt at a Solution

Right so I can do this for a first order dynamic circuit (one with only one capacitor and one inductor) but this one is throwing me off.

I'd imagine you'd start by applying KVL to obtain an expression for the voltage source?

After that I'm kinda lost

Any help would be really appreciated thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Studious_stud said:

Homework Statement

t98aa0.jpg

For the following circuit, obtain an expression for the capacitor
voltage, vC(t), for time, t (greater than or equal to) 0 if vs(t) = 10 V and vC(0) = 2 V.

Homework Equations

KVL
Definite integrals, differentiation etc

The Attempt at a Solution

Right so I can do this for a first order dynamic circuit (one with only one capacitor and one inductor) but this one is throwing me off.

I'd imagine you'd start by applying KVL to obtain an expression for the voltage source?

After that I'm kinda lost

Any help would be really appreciated thanks

It looks like you just solve the circuit like the Vc(0) were zero, with a step input voltage at t=0 from the voltage source, but instead use Vc(0) = 2V as the initial condition instead. What is the issue?

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How is the voltage across a capacitor calculated?

The voltage across a capacitor is calculated using the formula V = Q/C, where V is the voltage, Q is the charge stored on the capacitor, and C is the capacitance.

3. What is the equation for the charge stored on a capacitor?

The equation for the charge stored on a capacitor is Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage.

4. How is the capacitance of a capacitor determined?

The capacitance of a capacitor is determined by the physical characteristics of the capacitor, including the size of the plates, the distance between them, and the type of dielectric material used.

5. What is the relationship between the voltage and charge on a capacitor?

The voltage and charge on a capacitor have a direct relationship, meaning that as the voltage increases, so does the charge stored on the capacitor. Similarly, if the voltage decreases, the charge will also decrease.