Time Dilation Gamma Factor: New to STR, Confused?

In summary, the conversation is about the confusion of applying the gamma factor in relation to the motion of a train and the direction of light travel. The confusion is resolved by understanding that the mirrors in a "circular light clock" are closer together due to length contraction, and the outbound wavefront for a moving observer is shown in the animation provided by the person named GrayGhost.
tomz
i am comletely new to STR, and have just finish reading time dilation. (gamma factor)

but i am confuse why to illustrate the factor, light always travel prependiculer to the motion of the "train"

i try to apply the same thing when light travel along the motion of the train, then i got gamma=1/(1-v/c) rather than 1/(1-v^2/c^2)^0.5

can anyone help me out of the confusion?

thanks very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Just like when you track the course of the light flash bouncing between two mirrors that are placed at right angles to the direction of travel, you have to track the light flash between two mirrors along the direction of travel. Keep in mind that the mirrors in this case will be closer together by a factor of one over gamma due to length contraction.

I made an animation that illustrates time dilation and length contraction in relation to a "circular light clock" for a moving observer. Because the observer is moving, his circle of mirrors moving along with him is contracted along the direction of motion and takes the form of an oval or ellipse, showing length contraction. When he sets off a flash of light, it forms an expanding circle of light which hits the different parts of the mirror at different time but when the reflections all return to him, they arrive at the same instant of time, which takes longer than if he had been at rest, showing time dilation.

Here is a link to the animation:

Last edited by a moderator:
ghwellsjr said:
I made an animation that illustrates time dilation and length contraction in relation to a "circular light clock" for a moving observer ... Here is a link to the animation:

Very good ghwellsjr. I'm curious, how's come you opt'ed not to show the outbound wavefront for the moving observer? Just didn't want to clutter the figure maybe?

GrayGhost

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I did. Isn't the expanding blue circle the outbound wavefront?

1. What is time dilation gamma factor?

Time dilation gamma factor is a concept in special relativity that describes the relationship between the passage of time for an object in motion and an observer at rest. Essentially, it states that the faster an object is moving, the slower time will appear to pass for that object when compared to an observer at rest.

2. How is time dilation gamma factor calculated?

The formula for calculating time dilation gamma factor is γ = 1/√(1-(v^2/c^2)), where v is the velocity of the object and c is the speed of light. This formula takes into account the effect of velocity on the passage of time.

3. What is the significance of time dilation gamma factor?

Time dilation gamma factor is significant because it helps us understand the effects of motion on the passage of time. It has been proven through experiments and is a fundamental concept in special relativity, which has many real-world applications such as in the GPS system.

4. Is time dilation gamma factor the same for all objects?

No, time dilation gamma factor is not the same for all objects. It is dependent on the speed of the object and the observer's frame of reference. For objects moving at very high speeds close to the speed of light, the time dilation gamma factor can have a significant impact on the passage of time.

5. How does time dilation gamma factor affect our perception of time?

Time dilation gamma factor can affect our perception of time by making time appear to pass slower for objects in motion compared to objects at rest. This is due to the fact that the faster an object is moving, the slower time appears to pass for that object. This phenomenon has been observed in experiments and is a key aspect of special relativity.