Is there a spectrum difference in amplitude modulation with a sine or cosine?

In summary, when modulating a pulse X(t) with a sine or cosine wave, the resulting frequency spectrum expressions are given by \frac{1}{2j}[X(f-f_0)-X(f+f_0)] and \frac{1}{2}[X(f-f_0)+X(f+f_0)], respectively. While plotting these expressions, a difference in the magnitude spectrum can be observed, which may be unexpected due to a simple phase shift of \pi/2. However, multiplying the expression for cosine modulation by e^{-j\pi/2} does not result in the same spectrum as the expression for sine modulation. This is because the two components in the expression for sine modulation have opposite phases, unlike in the
DragonPetter
If I modulate a pulse X(t) with a.) a sine wave or b.) a cosine wave, I have the frequency spectrum expressions
[tex]
a.) \frac{1}{2j}[X(f-f_0)-X(f+f_0)]
[/tex]
[tex]
b.) \frac{1}{2}[X(f-f_0)+X(f+f_0)]
[/tex]

When I plot these for a pulse, I see a difference in the magnitude spectrum, but I should not expect to see this since this is simply a phase shift of [tex]\pi/2[/tex]

I would think if I multiplied b.) by [tex]e^{-j\pi/2}[/tex], I would get what I see in a.) but this is not the case.

Can anyone help me with what I'm missing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ok, I'm guessing the phase shift e^-jpi/2 does not extract out so nicely as I thought for the a.) case when the sine Fourier transform is taken. The two components X(f-fo) and X(f+fo) will have opposite phases unlike in b.) so I cannot simply multiply b.) by a phase shift to get to a.)

1. What is amplitude modulation?

Amplitude modulation is a type of modulation in which the amplitude of a carrier wave is varied in accordance with an input signal. This allows information to be transmitted through radio waves, as the variation in amplitude corresponds to the signal being transmitted.

2. Can you explain the difference between a sine and cosine wave?

A sine wave is a periodic waveform that oscillates between a maximum and minimum value, with the shape of the wave resembling a smooth curve. A cosine wave is also a periodic waveform, but it is shifted by 90 degrees or a quarter of a cycle compared to a sine wave. In other words, the maximum value of a cosine wave occurs when the sine wave reaches its minimum value, and vice versa.

3. Is there a difference in how amplitude modulation affects a sine or cosine wave?

No, there is no difference in how amplitude modulation affects a sine or cosine wave. The modulation process affects the amplitude of the carrier wave, regardless of its shape or frequency.

4. What is the purpose of using a sine or cosine wave in amplitude modulation?

Sine and cosine waves are commonly used in amplitude modulation because they have a simple and regular shape, making them easier to manipulate and analyze. Additionally, they can be easily generated and transmitted using electronic devices.

5. Can the amplitude modulation spectrum be different for a sine or cosine wave?

No, the amplitude modulation spectrum will be the same for a sine or cosine wave. The spectrum is determined by the modulating signal and the carrier wave, not the shape of the carrier wave.