Inexpensive Electronic Propane Regulator

In summary, the conversation is discussing the search for an inexpensive electronically controlled regulator that can be used to control the output flow of a standard propane tank. The person has found some regulators from Proportion Air that may work, but they are quite expensive. There is a concern about safety and the need for a gas rated valve. The conversation also advises caution and research before attempting to manipulate propane, as it can be dangerous. The recommendation is to purchase a regulator from a knowledgeable vendor for propane service rather than attempting to DIY it.
bassplayer142
First off, I'm not sure If the best place to post this would be in the ME or EE section.

I'm basically looking for an inexpensive electronically controlled regulator. I want to hook it up to a standard propane tank that you would see on a grill and be able to control the output flow in preferably the full range. Following the chart in the link I would say it would need to regulate from 0 - 200 psi for safe usage up to around 110 degrees F. I would preferably want analog voltage control but I could definitely use another if need be such as 4-20ma.

I found some regulators from proportion air that seem that they would work but the larger values are quite expensive to say the least as seen in the ebay listings.

Any help would be appreciated it someone could point out another source or if the qb1 series is indeed something that would work. My electronics knowledge is good but my mechanical knowledge of pressure and flow lack.

Thanks in advance for any help.

http://www.propanecarbs.com/propane.html
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=qb1+proportion+air+&_trksid=p5197.c0.m627
http://cgi.ebay.com/PROPORTION-AIR-INC-QB1SAFEE435-NSPP-QB1SAFEE435-/390305956840?pt=BI_Control_Systems_PLCs&hash=item5ae00c43e8#ht_878wt_905

Engineering news on Phys.org
These valves you posted are rated for AIR! As such they leak a bit. That is acceptable for systems using normal air because if they leak it doesn't matter. In your case, it's unacceptable because that leaking propane could build up in the localized area and combust unpredictably. You need a gas rated valve. Sounds expensive!

I posted this for the people that might have found this off google. Obviously this is an old post. Please everyone be safe and do your research before messing with propane. Another safety concern is if the pilot light goes out and your gas builds up. You need some method of monitoring the flame.

Yes, safety should be the governing criteria, rather than cost. If your regulator will be located in an enclosed area, you must start looking for equipment that will not be able to cause inhibition of the propane while operating. The safest thing to do is to buy a regulator from a knowledgeable vendor for propane service. The is not the situation to DIY it.

Likes engineer111111111

1. What is an inexpensive electronic propane regulator?

An inexpensive electronic propane regulator is a device that controls the flow of propane gas from a tank to an appliance. It uses electronic sensors and controls to maintain a consistent pressure and regulate the flow of gas. It is typically cheaper than traditional mechanical regulators and may offer additional features such as remote monitoring and automatic shut-off.

2. How does an inexpensive electronic propane regulator work?

An inexpensive electronic propane regulator works by using an electronic sensor to measure the pressure of the gas in the tank. It then sends this information to a control unit, which adjusts the flow of gas through a solenoid valve. This valve opens or closes to maintain a consistent pressure, ensuring a steady and safe supply of propane to the appliance.

3. What are the benefits of using an inexpensive electronic propane regulator?

There are several benefits to using an inexpensive electronic propane regulator. These include more precise control of gas flow, automatic shut-off in case of leaks, and remote monitoring capabilities. Additionally, electronic regulators are typically more durable and have a longer lifespan compared to traditional mechanical regulators.

4. How do I install an inexpensive electronic propane regulator?

Installation of an inexpensive electronic propane regulator is typically straightforward and can be done by following the manufacturer's instructions. It usually involves attaching the regulator to the propane tank and connecting it to the appliance with appropriate gas lines. It is important to ensure that the regulator is installed in a well-ventilated area and that all connections are secure to prevent gas leaks.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using an inexpensive electronic propane regulator?

While inexpensive electronic propane regulators offer many benefits, it is important to keep safety in mind when using them. It is crucial to follow proper installation procedures and regularly inspect the regulator for any signs of wear or damage. It is also recommended to have a professional check the regulator periodically to ensure it is functioning correctly. In case of a gas leak or malfunction, the automatic shut-off feature of the regulator can help prevent accidents and keep you safe.

Back