How do I prove the existence of a limit using the definition of limit?

In summary, the task is to check if a given sequence has a limit using the definition of limit. It is necessary to prove the existence or non-existence of the limit, and one method is to show that the sequence does not tend to a limit. This can be done by considering the difference between elements in the tail of the sequence, which should tend to zero if the sequence converges. This notion is important in real analysis. Additionally, if a sequence converges, the limit is unique and every subsequence also converges to that limit, so if a sequence has two subsequences that tend to different limits, it cannot converge.
twoflower
Hi all, my task is to check, whether the given sequence has a limit and if yes, count it. We have to do it using the definition of limit.

So I have eg. this sequence:

[tex]
(-1)^n \left( \frac{1}{10} - \frac{1}{n} \right)
[/tex]

I know how the definition is, but I don't know how to use it for the purpose wanted. I just wrote

[tex]
\left| A - (-1)^n \left( \frac{1}{10} - \frac{1}{n} \right) \right| < \epsilon , \forall \epsilon > 0
[/tex]

But how to prove that the sequence has or has not limit? Should I just try to prove existence of the limit, or, on the contrary, should I try to prove that the limit doesn't exist? What is the general recommended method, when we have to prove it from definition of limit?

Thank you all for any answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no general solution for finding the limits of sequences. In fact, there are a goodly number of outstanding conjectures that the limit of a particular sequence is some value. In this particular case, it should be possible to show that the sequence does not tend to a limit.

Hint: If the sequence [tex]\{s_n\}[/tex] has a limit converges, then the sequence[tex]\script{S}_n=s_n-s_{n+1}[/tex] will tend to zero.

Last edited:
NateTG said:
In this particular case, it should be possible to show that the sequence does not tend to a limit.

Well, so I always have to decide, whether I will try to prove the existence of the limit, or the opposite?

NateTG said:
Hint: If the sequence [tex]\{s_n\}[/tex] has a limit, then the sequence[tex]\script{S}_n=s_n-s_{n+1}[/tex] will tend to zero.
Is it a general theorem? If not, when can I use it? I'm asking because I think we didn't have this theorem so far...

twoflower said:
Is it a general theorem? If not, when can I use it? I'm asking because I think we didn't have this theorem so far...

If you replace 'has a limit' with 'converges' (which is what I should have written it initially), then it's generally true.

Consider that if [tex]|s_n-A| < \epsilon[/tex] then [tex]s_n \in (A-\epsilon,A+\epsilon)[/tex]. Now, if
the sequence converges, then given any [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex] it's possible to find [tex]N_\epsilon[/tex] so that [tex]n>N_\epsilon \Rightarrow |s_n - A| < \frac{\epsilon}{2}[/tex]
so
[tex]n > N_\epsilon \Rightarrow s_n \in (A-\frac{\epsilon}{2},A+{\epsilon)}{2}[/tex]
This means that the 'tail' of the sequence is contained in an interval with a length (diameter really) of [tex]\epsilon[/tex].
So, cleary for
[tex]n_1,n_2 > N_\epsilon [/tex] we have [tex]|s_{n_1}-s_{n_2}| < \epsilon[/tex]
and,
[tex]|s_{n_1}-s_{n_2}| = |s_{n_1}-s_{n_2}-0| < \epsilon[/tex]
So the differences go to zero if the sequence coverges.

The notion of the difference between elements in the tail of a squence going to zero if the sequence coverges is important in real analysis:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CauchySequence.html

Last edited:
If a sequence converges, the limit is unique and every subsequence also converges to that limit.

So, if you're sequence has two subsequences tending to distinct limits then it cannot itself converge.

Can you see how that helps in your example above?

What is the definition of limit in mathematics?

The definition of limit in mathematics is the value that a function approaches as the input value approaches a certain value. It is denoted by the symbol lim and is used to describe the behavior of a function near a particular point.

How is the limit of a function calculated?

The limit of a function can be calculated by plugging in values that approach the desired input value and observing the corresponding output values. This process is known as numerical evaluation. Alternatively, algebraic techniques such as factoring, rationalization, and substitution can also be used to evaluate limits.

Can a function have a limit at a point where it is not defined?

Yes, a function can have a limit at a point where it is not defined. This is because the definition of limit only requires the function to be defined in a small interval around the point, not necessarily at the point itself. If the values of the function approach a certain value as the input approaches the point, then the limit exists.

What is the difference between one-sided and two-sided limits?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of the function as the input approaches the point from one side (either the left or the right). A two-sided limit, on the other hand, considers the behavior of the function as the input approaches the point from both sides. In order for a two-sided limit to exist, the one-sided limits must be equal.

Why are limits important in calculus?

Limits are important in calculus because they allow us to analyze the behavior of a function near a certain point, even if the function is not defined at that point. They are also used to define important concepts such as continuity, differentiability, and the derivative, which are essential for solving many problems in calculus.