Value of x: 25^x-30(5^x)+125=0 Common Base?

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
In summary, to find the value of x in the equation 25^x - 30(5^x) + 125 = 0, the common base is 5. To simplify the equation, one should observe that 25 can be written as 5^2 and then substitute A = 5^x to get A^2 - 30A + 125 = 0. Factoring this equation results in two possible values for A, which are then substituted back into the original equation to verify if they are correct.
aisha
Find the exact value of x: 25^x-30(5^x)+125=0 what is the common base? I thought it was 5 but not for 30.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have a look at the form of the equation... can you do a subsitution?

HINT: Observe that [itex]25 = 5^2[/itex]

Also, simplify the equation first.

First of all can the -30(5^x) be multiplied? to =-150^x
Next I let A=5^x and then my equation became A^2-30+125=0 so A^2+95 I don't think I did this right and if I did then what do I do next A=square root of -95?

aisha said:
First of all can the -30(5^x) be multiplied? to =-150^x
Nope. Observe that 2*3^4 = 2*(3^4) = 2*3*3*3*3. On the other hand, (2*3)^4 = 2*2*2*2*3*3*3*3 which is definitely not equivalent.
aisha said:
Next I let A=5^x and then my equation became A^2-30+125=0 so A^2+95 I don't think I did this right and if I did then what do I do next A=square root of -95?
Note that your equation can be written (5^x)^2 - 30(5^x) + 125 = 0, so if A = 5^x, the equation becomes A^2 - 30A + 125 = 0.

hypermorphism said:
Nope. Observe that 2*3^4 = 2*(3^4) = 2*3*3*3*3. On the other hand, (2*3)^4 = 2*2*2*2*3*3*3*3 which is definitely not equivalent.

Note that your equation can be written (5^x)^2 - 30(5^x) + 125 = 0, so if A = 5^x, the equation becomes A^2 - 30A + 125 = 0.

Ok I factored that and got (A-5) (A-25) A=5 or A=25 sooo 5^x=5 or 5^x=25
x=1 or x=2 are my solutions correct? Can there be two values for x?

aisha said:
Ok I factored that and got (A-5) (A-25) A=5 or A=25 sooo 5^x=5 or 5^x=25
x=1 or x=2 are my solutions correct? Can there be two values for x?
Plug the values of x you solved for back into the original equation to see if they work. :smile:

Plug the values of x you solved for back into the original equation to see if they work.
Yeah! This is the best method to vertify the answer.

1. What does the equation 25^x-30(5^x)+125=0 represent?

The equation 25^x-30(5^x)+125=0 is a common base equation that represents a mathematical relationship between two variables, x and y. It is used to solve for the value of x when the equation is set to equal 0.

2. How is the value of x determined in this equation?

The value of x is determined by using algebraic techniques to solve for the variable. This usually involves isolating the variable on one side of the equation and simplifying the other side. The resulting value of x will make the equation true.

3. What is the significance of the common base in this equation?

The common base, which is 5 in this equation, is important because it allows for the use of logarithms to solve for the value of x. Logarithms are useful in solving exponential equations with different bases by converting them into a common base equation.

4. Are there any restrictions on the value of x in this equation?

Yes, there are restrictions on the value of x in this equation. If the exponent of the common base (5) is negative, the equation will result in a complex solution. Therefore, the value of x must be a positive real number in order for the equation to have a real solution.

5. What are some real-life applications of this equation?

This equation can be used in various fields such as finance, physics, and chemistry to determine the value of x in different scenarios. For example, it can be used to calculate the growth rate of investments, the decay rate of radioactive materials, or the concentration of a substance in a chemical reaction.