I think there is some thing wrong

• Thread starter MIB
  • Start date
In summary, there is a problem with the given exercise as it states that the Newton sequence will converge to a root for any initial point x0 in (a,b), when in fact this is not the case if the derivative vanishes at x0. However, by restating the exercise to exclude the case where the derivative vanishes at x0, the problem can be easily solved.
MIB
I think there is some thing wrong in this exercise which I met by chance in a book of Calculus and analysis while looking for rigorous definition for angle , it says

let f : (a,b) → ℝ be a differentiable function , suppose that f' is bounded , and that f has a root r in (a,b) . suppose that for x ≠ r , Jx denote the open interval between x and r , where if f(x) > 0 then f is convex on Jx , and if f(x) < 0 then f is concave on Jx.Then prove that for any x0 in (a,b) the Newton sequence converges to a root where x0 is it initial point .

The problem here is that we can take the initial point x0 where f'(x0)=0 .for the simplicity consider f(x) := x^3 for all x in (-4,4)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think we must replace "f' is bounded on (a,b)" by "f' is non-zero throughout (a,b)"

Last edited:
MIB said:
I think there is some thing wrong in this exercise which I met by chance in a book of Calculus and analysis while looking for rigorous definition for angle , it says

let f : (a,b) → ℝ be a differentiable function , suppose that f' is bounded , and that f has a root r in (a,b) . suppose that for x ≠ r , Jx denote the open interval between x and r , where if f(x) > 0 then f is convex on Jx , and if f(x) < 0 then f is concave on Jx.Then prove that for any x0 in (a,b) the Newton sequence converges to a root where x0 is it initial point .

The problem here is that we can take the initial point x0 where f'(x0)=0 .for the simplicity consider f(x) := x^3 for all x in (-4,4)

There is no problem in this particular example because the initial point you chose is the root of your function, so you've already converged to the root and aren't going anywhere.

Try coming up with an example where the derivative vanishes at a point that is not the root of the function. Be sure to double-check that the concavity conditions of the theorem are still met in this case. If you can show that you can't pick a function with f'(x0) = 0 for which the concavity requirements are satisfied, then there is no problem with the theorem as stated.

Mute said:
There is no problem in this particular example because the initial point you chose is the root of your function, so you've already converged to the root and aren't going anywhere.

Try coming up with an example where the derivative vanishes at a point that is not the root of the function. Be sure to double-check that the concavity conditions of the theorem are still met in this case. If you can show that you can't pick a function with f'(x0) = 0 for which the concavity requirements are satisfied, then there is no problem with the theorem as stated.

I know it can be very hard to think an example where the derivative vanishes at a point which is not a root , and I think it is impossible the problem is that it says " for any x0 in (a,b) the Newton sequence converges to a root where x0 is it initial point " , and then this wrong ,because the root is in (a,b) .

OK I restated it as following

let f : (a,b) → ℝ be a differentiable function , suppose that f' is bounded , and that f has a root r in (a,b) . suppose that for x ≠ r , Jx denote the open interval between x and r , where if f(x) > 0 then f is convex on Jx , and if f(x) < 0 then f is concave on Jx.Then prove that for any x0 in (a,b) the Newton sequence converges to a root where x0 is it initial point where the derivative doesn't vanish at x0.

And I proved it easily then .

What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to solving problems and answering questions through observation, experimentation, and analysis. It involves several steps including making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions.

How do you know if there is something wrong?

The best way to determine if something is wrong is to gather evidence and analyze it using the scientific method. This involves making observations, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to determine if there is a problem or if something is not functioning as expected.

What types of tools do scientists use to detect problems?

Scientists use a variety of tools and equipment to detect problems, depending on their specific field of study. Some examples include microscopes, spectrophotometers, chromatography equipment, and genetic sequencing technology. These tools help scientists to observe and analyze data more accurately and efficiently.

Can you give an example of how the scientific method is used to identify a problem?

Sure, let's say a scientist notices that a certain plant species in a particular area is dying at an alarming rate. They may form a hypothesis that the plant is being affected by a new type of disease. They would then conduct experiments and gather data to test this hypothesis. If their data supports the hypothesis, they may conclude that the problem is indeed a new disease affecting the plants.

What steps can be taken to address a problem once it has been identified through the scientific method?

Once a problem has been identified, scientists can use the information gathered through the scientific method to come up with potential solutions. They may conduct further experiments and gather more data to test these solutions, and ultimately implement the most effective course of action to address the problem.