Chemistry Question Solution Stochiometry And Determining The Concentration?

The final concentration of all ions will be the moles divided by 0.7 litres.In summary, to find the concentration of all ions after the reaction, first find the moles of each reactant. Then, determine the limiting reagent and calculate the moles of each ion present. Finally, divide the moles by the total volume of the solution to find the concentration of all ions.
justinh8

Homework Statement

What is the concentration of all ions after 600.0mL of 2.00 mol/L Barium nitrate is added to 100.0 mL of 2.50 mol/L sodium phosphate.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first wrote down the equation : 3Ba(No3)2 + 2Na3PO4 = Ba3(PO4)2 (solid) + 6NaNO3
I then found the moles using n = c x v.
moles of Ba(No3)2 n = 2 x 0.6L = 1.2 mols
moles of Na3PO4 n = 2.5 x 0.1 = 0.25 mols.

I than found the LR: 0.25 mols Na3PO4 x 3 mols Ba(NO3)2/2Na3PO4 = 0.375 mols Ba(NO3)2

So I have more than i need for barium nitrate so my limiting reagent is sodium phosphate.

Now what i am having trouble with is, is that should i find the excess reagent by doing 1.2 - 0.375 = 0.825 or do i have to find the mols of the solid barium phosphate and then find the limiting reagent using that.. Please help, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone care to help??

You are provided with the concentrations and volumes of the reactants. Find out the moles of reactants and the final moles of all the ions as the question says. Then divide the moles by the total volume i.e. 0.7 litres.

1. How do you calculate the molarity of a solution?

The molarity of a solution is calculated by dividing the moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters. This is represented by the formula M = moles of solute / volume of solution (L).

2. What is stoichiometry and why is it important in chemistry?

Stoichiometry is the calculation of the quantities of reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It is important in chemistry because it allows us to determine the amount of product that will be formed from a given amount of reactants, and vice versa. This helps in predicting the outcome of a reaction and in designing efficient chemical processes.

3. How do you determine the concentration of a solution using titration?

Titration is a technique used to determine the concentration of a solution by adding a known volume of a solution with a known concentration (titrant) to a solution with an unknown concentration (analyte) until the reaction is complete. The concentration of the analyte can be calculated using the formula M1V1 = M2V2, where M1 is the concentration of the titrant, V1 is the volume of titrant used, M2 is the concentration of the analyte, and V2 is the volume of analyte used.

4. What is the difference between molarity and molality?

Molarity (M) is the number of moles of solute per liter of solution, while molality (m) is the number of moles of solute per kilogram of solvent. Molarity is affected by changes in temperature and volume, while molality is not affected by changes in temperature.

5. How do you convert between grams and moles?

To convert from grams to moles, divide the mass of the substance by its molar mass. To convert from moles to grams, multiply the number of moles by the molar mass. The molar mass of a substance can be found by adding the atomic masses of all the elements in the compound, as indicated by its chemical formula.