Motion sensor and motor control device help

In summary, the person is designing a stabilisation device for use in water that will use an inertial motion sensor and propellors to correct orientation. They are unsure if they can use a phidget for a wireless feedback system and are looking at stepper controllers and motion sensors for a solution. They are also considering using accelerometers and wireless data connections for multiple sensors to a central controller.
nick89i
Hi, I am currently designing a stabilisation device for use in water. The general idea is using an inertial motion sensor to detect the orientation and propellors to correct it. I have very little knowledge in this area and was wondering whether I can use a phidget to achieve a wireless feedback system from the sensor to motors to correct the orientation. I have been looking at stepper controllers and motion sensors so far but I'm not 100% sure what the best solution is and how it all fits together. I don't know which components I would need to build such a system or if it is at all possible.

Thank you for any help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Accelerometers are a simple and inexpensive way to start. What you describe is very similar to the way smart phone determine their orientation.

You may be able to make wireless data connections from several sets of sensors to a central controller, and also wireless from the controller to the propeller drives.Good luck.

1. How does a motion sensor work?

A motion sensor is a device that uses various technologies such as infrared, ultrasonic, or microwave to detect movement within its range. Once motion is detected, the sensor sends a signal to the motor control device, which activates the motor and initiates the desired movement.

2. What is the purpose of a motor control device?

A motor control device is used to control the speed, direction, and torque of an electric motor. It receives signals from sensors, such as a motion sensor, and translates them into specific motor movements.

3. Can a motion sensor and motor control device be used for home automation?

Yes, a motion sensor and motor control device can be integrated into a home automation system to control lights, appliances, and other devices. For example, a motion sensor can be used to turn on lights when someone enters a room, and the motor control device can be used to open and close curtains or blinds.

4. Are motion sensors and motor control devices expensive?

The cost of motion sensors and motor control devices can vary depending on the type and features. However, with advancements in technology, these devices have become more affordable and can be found in a wide range of prices to fit different budgets.

5. How accurate are motion sensors and motor control devices?

Motion sensors and motor control devices are designed to be very accurate. However, their accuracy can be affected by factors such as environmental conditions, interference, and placement. It is important to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions for optimal accuracy.