Which text books would you recommend?

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for must-read textbooks for mathematicians and physicists. The original poster asks for general recommendations and also shares their own favorites. Responders suggest books such as Taylor's Classical Mechanics, Sakurai's Quantum Mechanics, Ross's Differential Equations, and Spivak's Calculus. At a more advanced level, the responders recommend Landau-Lifgarbagez volumes 1 and 2 and Whittaker-Watson's Modern Analysis.
Hunus
For any mathematician or physicist, what textbooks do you consider a must read?

Also, what books do you remember reading that gave you great insight into a topic which you previously did not have?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi, and welcome to the forum. this is theoretically a good question, but from a practical standpoint its too general. please check the thread on recommended books, and then make a more precise question. you will get better answers. i know you don't mean it this way, but this question cannot be answered unless the answerer does more work on it than you yourself have done in asking it. that isn't workable. also read my who wants to be a math... thread for a huge list of recommended books.

best wishes

Thanks for the reply Mathwonk.

I know that this thread is very general, but I hope for replies with books on many different topics.

Also, I have read your How to be a Mathematician thread several times over.

I hoped for people to post just a few of the books that they really thought were great books regardless of the specific topic. I understand this is a very general question, but I intended for it to be, just to see what people had to say.

well maybe if each person just posts one book it could work.

I would post one but it would be repetitive.

It's hard to narrow it down but my three favorite textbooks (at this moment) are Taylor Classical Mechanics, Sakurai Quantum Mechanics and Ross Differential equations (this is a great LD diff eq book).

I found all of those insightful and good reads.

Spivak's calculus is a wonderful book.

Hunus said:
For any mathematician or physicist, what textbooks do you consider a must read?

At advanced level there can be many but at more basic level I would recommend landau-lifgarbagez volumes 1 and 2, and whittaker-watson modern analysis.

1. What criteria do you use to select recommended textbooks?

When choosing textbooks to recommend, I consider factors such as the book's relevance to the topic, its accuracy and credibility, the author's expertise and reputation, and its level of accessibility for readers.

2. Can you recommend textbooks that cover a wide range of topics within a subject area?

Yes, if you are looking for textbooks that cover a broad range of topics within a subject area, I would recommend looking for textbooks that are designed for introductory or general courses in that subject. These textbooks tend to offer a comprehensive overview of the subject and cover a variety of topics.

3. Are there any textbooks that you would recommend for self-study?

Yes, there are many textbooks that are suitable for self-study. When selecting a textbook for self-study, I would recommend looking for one that is well-organized, has clear explanations and examples, and includes practice problems or exercises for self-assessment.

4. Do you have any recommendations for textbooks that are affordable?

Yes, there are often affordable options for textbooks, such as used or rental textbooks, e-books, or open educational resources. Additionally, some universities or libraries may have resources available for borrowing or purchase at a lower cost.

5. Do you have any recommendations for textbooks that are suitable for advanced learners?

Yes, there are many textbooks that are designed for advanced learners. When looking for advanced textbooks, I would recommend considering textbooks that are more specialized or focused on a particular aspect of the subject, as well as those that offer more in-depth and complex information.