Diffusion rate- pentane in polystyrene

In summary, diffusion rate is the speed at which a substance spreads from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. It is measured by determining the amount of substance that has moved over a specific time period. Pentane can easily diffuse in polystyrene by displacing polymer chains and spreading until equilibrium is reached. The diffusion rate of pentane can be affected by temperature, molecular size, and other substances. It can be controlled by altering these factors, which is important in industries such as packaging and construction for designing materials with specific properties.
jackscholar
For part of my coursework I am asked to look at gas application in polymer manufacture and while looking through sources I found articles on the use of pentane in polystyrene resin. I was wondering at what rate the pentane diffuses out of the polystyrene? Any equations would help tremendously as I can't find any online.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that this problem is an application of Fourier's Equation. It is similar to transient heat transfer. You'll have to obtain a diffusion coefficient.

1. What is diffusion rate and how is it measured?

Diffusion rate refers to the speed at which a substance moves or spreads from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. It is typically measured by determining the amount of substance that has moved over a specific time period, using units such as mol/s or cm/s.

2. How does pentane diffuse in polystyrene?

Pentane is a small molecule that can easily move through the spaces between the polymer chains in polystyrene. As it moves, it displaces the polystyrene molecules and spreads outwards until it reaches equilibrium, where the concentration is equal throughout the material.

3. What factors affect the diffusion rate of pentane in polystyrene?

The diffusion rate of pentane in polystyrene can be affected by several factors such as temperature, molecular size, and the presence of other substances. Higher temperatures and smaller molecules tend to increase diffusion rate, while the presence of other substances can either hinder or facilitate diffusion.

4. Can the diffusion rate of pentane in polystyrene be controlled?

Yes, the diffusion rate of pentane in polystyrene can be controlled by altering the factors that affect it. For example, by changing the temperature or using a different type of polystyrene, the diffusion rate can be adjusted to fit specific needs.

5. Why is the diffusion rate of pentane in polystyrene important?

The diffusion rate of pentane in polystyrene is important in various industries, such as packaging and construction. Understanding and controlling the diffusion rate can help in designing materials with specific properties, such as controlling the release of substances or preventing the escape of harmful gases.