Hitting a moving target below when launched 100 m above at a 45 degree angle

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of finding the velocity of a projectile launched at a 45 degree angle in order to hit a target 5 meters away. The equations used involve using g instead of its numerical value and the analytic value for sin(45°) in order to avoid decimal numbers. The final velocity calculated is 13.985 m/s at a time of 5.638 seconds. The individual expresses gratitude for the help provided in solving the problem.
dwdeclare
i'm having difficulty trying to figure out a problem i thought of.

a projectile is launched upwards at a 45 degree angle 100 m above a surface. below is a target whose horizontal distance is 5 m from the launch point. just as the projectile is launched, the target moves horizontally at a constant 9 m/s.

what would the velocity of the launch have to be in order to hit the target below?

so far i have come up with:

5 + 9t = vcos45t

for t = time i have:

(see attachment)

but I'm having difficulty knowing how to incorporate it properly into the equations.

i've reduced the time to:

√([.02548v2 + 100]/4.9) + (.07215v)

is there an easier way to go about solving this?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Attachments

• 01.bmp
    40 KB · Views: 558
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is an easier way.
I would try to use g instead of its numerical value and the analytic value for sin(45°) as long as possible, that avoids decimal numbers.

mfb said:
I don't think there is an easier way.
I would try to use g instead of its numerical value and the analytic value for sin(45°) as long as possible, that avoids decimal numbers.

groovy!

i came up with a velocity of 13.985 m/s at a time of 5.638 seconds

thanks for your help...now i can sleep soundly :-)

1. How do you calculate the initial velocity of the moving target?

The initial velocity of the moving target can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, we can use t = 0 as the target is launched and a = 9.8 m/s² due to gravity. Therefore, the initial velocity can be calculated as follows:
v = u + at
u = v - at
u = 0 - (9.8)(0)
u = 0 m/s

2. What factors affect the trajectory of the moving target?

The trajectory of the moving target is affected by various factors such as initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravity. The initial velocity and angle of launch determine the initial velocity vector which affects the direction and speed of the target. Air resistance can also affect the trajectory by slowing down the target's speed, while gravity pulls the target towards the ground, causing it to follow a curved path.

3. How do you determine the landing point of the moving target?

The landing point of the moving target can be determined by using the equation x = ut + 1/2at², where x is the horizontal distance, u is the initial horizontal velocity, t is the time, and a is the horizontal acceleration. In this case, a is assumed to be 0 as there is no horizontal acceleration. Therefore, the equation becomes x = ut. We can plug in the values of u = 0, t = 0, and x = 100 m to solve for the horizontal distance.
x = ut
100 = 0(0)
Therefore, the landing point of the moving target is 100 m away from the launch point.

4. How does the angle of launch affect the distance traveled by the moving target?

The angle of launch plays a crucial role in determining the distance traveled by the moving target. When launched at a 45 degree angle, the target will travel the farthest distance compared to any other angle. This is because at this angle, the initial velocity vector is divided equally between the horizontal and vertical components, resulting in the maximum horizontal distance covered.

5. How can you improve the accuracy of hitting a moving target?

To improve the accuracy of hitting a moving target, there are several factors that can be considered. One is to have a precise initial velocity, which can be achieved by using a high-quality launcher. Another factor is to have a consistent angle of launch to ensure the target follows a consistent trajectory. Additionally, considering external factors such as wind and air resistance can also help in improving accuracy. Finally, practicing and refining aiming skills can also greatly improve the accuracy of hitting a moving target.