Human Pituitary proteins-how to find them?

• Thread starter mountain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary: These modifications can affect the protein's size. However, the overall structure and function of the receptor is the same throughout the body. In summary, the human glucocorticoid receptor is the same protein no matter what tissue it is found in. The only difference may be in post-translational modifications, which can affect the protein's size. However, the overall structure and function of the receptor remains consistent throughout the body.
mountain
i am looking for some human pituitary proteins for example glucocorticoid receptor. the problem is i get only the answer for human glucocorticoid receptor and not glucocorticoid receptor from human pituitary. as i know glucocorticoid receptor is different in different human locations, then how come i get glucocorticoid receptor from pituitary and not just "human glucocorticoid receptor"?

Any help is greatly appreaciated!

Thanks a bunch!

Biology news on Phys.org
Can you clarify what you're trying to do? Do you mean doing a literature search for information on glucocorticoid receptors, or identifying them in tissue samples you have, or getting purified protein from a supplier?

When most people are talking about GR, they are referring to the alpha isoform, which is the one that binds glucocorticoids. There is also a beta isoform reported in the literature, but that one does not bind glucocorticoids. Recent work seems to suggest it acts in a dominant negative manner in reducing transcriptional activity of the alpha isoform (and possibly the mineralocorticoid receptors as well).

For a review of the different isoforms and post-translational modifications of the receptor, see:
Zhou J, Cidlowski JA. The human glucocorticoid receptor: one gene, multiple proteins and diverse responses. Steroids. 2005 May-Jun;70(5-7):407-17.

It's the same protein no matter what tissue it's found in.

Moonbear said:
Can you clarify what you're trying to do? Do you mean doing a literature search for information on glucocorticoid receptors, or identifying them in tissue samples you have, or getting purified protein from a supplier?

It's the same protein no matter what tissue it's found in.

Sorry, moonbear! I forgot the main thing. :grumpy: i am looking for the size (Da) of the human pituitary glucocorticoid receptors, but what i get is only the human glucocorticoid receptors. my question: is the size and the structure of human pituitary glucocorticoid receptors the same in any locations of our body? Are the human ovarian glucocorticoid receptors identical to human pituitary glucocorticoid receptors in siza and structure?

Hope for any inputs!

mountain said:
Sorry, moonbear! I forgot the main thing. :grumpy: i am looking for the size (Da) of the human pituitary glucocorticoid receptors, but what i get is only the human glucocorticoid receptors. my question: is the size and the structure of human pituitary glucocorticoid receptors the same in any locations of our body? Are the human ovarian glucocorticoid receptors identical to human pituitary glucocorticoid receptors in siza and structure?

Hope for any inputs!

Yes, there is only one identified glucocorticoid receptor. The only thing that will vary from tissue to tissue, or cell to cell even, would be post-translational modifications, such as phosphorylation state.

What are human pituitary proteins and why are they important?

Human pituitary proteins are proteins that are produced by the pituitary gland, a small gland located at the base of the brain. They play a crucial role in regulating various bodily functions, such as growth, metabolism, and reproduction. Understanding these proteins can provide valuable insights into the functioning of the human body and help in the development of treatments for various diseases.

How do scientists identify human pituitary proteins?

Scientists use various techniques, such as mass spectrometry and DNA sequencing, to identify and characterize human pituitary proteins. These techniques involve isolating and analyzing the proteins from biological samples, such as blood or tissue, and comparing them to known protein sequences.

What are the challenges in finding human pituitary proteins?

The human pituitary gland produces a large number of proteins, and some of them may be present in very small quantities. Additionally, these proteins may have similar structures, making it challenging to distinguish between them. Furthermore, genetic variations between individuals can also affect the levels and types of proteins present in their pituitary glands.

Why is it important to study human pituitary proteins?

Studying human pituitary proteins can provide valuable insights into the functioning of the human body and help in the development of treatments for various diseases. By understanding the role of these proteins, scientists can identify potential targets for drug development and improve our understanding of human health and disease.

What are the potential applications of human pituitary protein research?

The research on human pituitary proteins has various potential applications in the fields of medicine and biotechnology. It can help in the development of new diagnostic tools, therapies, and treatments for diseases related to the pituitary gland. Additionally, it can also aid in the development of new drugs and biologics for various other conditions, such as growth disorders and hormonal imbalances.