Can an infinite subset be dense in a finite complement topology?

• Thread starter Oxymoron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinite
In summary: A subset is dense if its closure coincides with the set. In this case, every point of X is a limit point of A, so A is dense in X.
Oxymoron
My problem is:

Consider an infinite set [itex]X[/itex] with the finite complement topology. I want to show that any infinite subset [itex]A[/itex] of [itex]X[/itex] is dense in [itex]X[/itex].

Now, I can show that every point of [itex]X[/itex] is a limit point of [itex]A[/itex].

Can this help me in any way to show that [itex]A[/itex] is dense in [itex]X[/itex]. Or could someone provide me with an alternative method.

By the way, my understanding of dense is that a subset of a set is dense if its closure coincides with the set.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me rephrase your question:

If every point of X is a limit point of A, then is A dense in X?

Yes, that is my question.

So what do the definitions say?

Wait a sec, if every point of X is a limit point of A, then A is dense in X!

SO, A is any infinite subset and you want to find the smallest closed set containing A. Since there are three kinds of closed set:

the empty set

a set containing a finite number of points

all of X

isn't the answer obvious? I mean, whichof those can contain A, given A is infinite?

isn't the answer obvious? I mean, whichof those can contain A, given A is infinite?

is it all of X?

well, can you name a finite (or empty set) that contains an infinite subset?

nope, I can't.

So am I correct in thinking that by proving that every point of [itex]X[/itex] is the limit point of [itex]A[/itex], then [itex]A[/itex] is dense?

Wait a sec, if every point of X is a limit point of A, then A is dense in X!

That is correct -- the point of my first post was to eliminate the unnecessary stuff, hoping you could see this when that's all that's left. :smile:

However, the approach matt has mentioned is a much easier way to do this problem... and is a fairly important theme to understand in general.

I agree, Matt's method was MUCH easier.

Once again- look at the DEFINITION of "dense"!

1. What does it mean for an infinite subset to be dense?

When an infinite subset is dense, it means that it is densely packed within the larger set. In other words, every point in the larger set is either an element of the infinite subset or a limit point of the infinite subset.

2. How is the density of an infinite subset determined?

The density of an infinite subset is determined by the number of elements it contains and how closely packed those elements are within the larger set. The closer the elements are to each other and the more elements there are, the denser the subset is.

3. Can an infinite subset ever be more dense than the larger set?

No, an infinite subset can never be more dense than the larger set. This is because the density of a set is determined by the number of elements it contains relative to the size of the set. Since the larger set contains more elements, it will always be at least as dense as the infinite subset.

4. Is every infinite subset dense?

No, not every infinite subset is dense. In order for a subset to be dense, it must satisfy the condition that every point in the larger set is either an element of the subset or a limit point of the subset. If this condition is not met, then the subset is not considered to be dense.

5. What are some examples of infinite subsets that are dense?

There are many examples of infinite subsets that are dense, such as the set of rational numbers within the set of real numbers, or the set of natural numbers within the set of integers. In general, any infinite subset that is evenly distributed within a larger set can be considered to be dense.