Finding the Rate of Climb for a Plane

• Thread starter mr_glass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane Rate
In summary, the problem is asking for the rate of climb of a plane that takes off at 88 km/h and clears a power line 15m high at a horizontal distance of 460 m. The angle of the plane's trajectory with the horizontal needs to be determined in order to find the rate of climb. The formula for acceleration, (Vf^2 - Vi^2)/2d, is not necessary for this problem.
mr_glass
I am having trouble with problem:

A plane needs 300 m to take off while going 88km/h. It then climbs with a constant speed of 88 km/h along a straight line, just celaring a power line 15m high at a horizontal distance of 460 m from it initial position.

I am asked to find the rate of climb of the plane.

I have figured out how to get the acceleration with

(Vf^2 - Vi^2)/2d a

but I do not know where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note: I've moved this from Advanced Physics to Introductory Physics.

A plane needs 300 m to take off while going 88km/h. It then climbs with a constant speed of 88 km/h along a straight line, just celaring a power line 15m high at a horizontal distance of 460 m from it initial position.

I am asked to find the rate of climb of the plane.

The first thing that you need to recognize is that "rate of climb" means the same thing as "y-component of velocity while climbing". So the first thing you need to do is the angle that the plane's straight line trajectory makes with the horizontal. Since they give you the speed along that straight line tracjectory, finding the rate of climb should be easy after you get the angle.

thanx i figured it out waasn't thinking clearly much easier thn what i was making it

1. What is the rate of climb for a plane?

The rate of climb for a plane is the vertical speed at which an aircraft can ascend or descend. It is usually measured in feet per minute (ft/min) or meters per second (m/s).

2. How is the rate of climb calculated?

The rate of climb is calculated by dividing the change in altitude by the time it took to make that change. It can be expressed as: rate of climb = (final altitude - initial altitude)/time.

3. Why is the rate of climb important for a plane?

The rate of climb is important for a plane because it affects its overall performance, fuel efficiency, and safety. A higher rate of climb means the plane can reach its cruising altitude faster, which is important for shorter flights and reduces fuel consumption. It also impacts the plane's ability to maneuver and climb over obstacles during takeoff and landing.

4. What factors can affect the rate of climb for a plane?

The rate of climb for a plane can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the aircraft, air density, temperature, and wind conditions. A heavier plane or high air density can result in a lower rate of climb, while a lighter plane or favorable wind conditions can increase the rate of climb.

5. How can the rate of climb be improved for a plane?

The rate of climb for a plane can be improved by reducing the weight of the aircraft, optimizing the flight path for favorable wind conditions, and using techniques such as thrust vectoring or wing flaps to increase lift. Regular maintenance and proper engine performance also play a role in improving the rate of climb for a plane.