Bush Administration: "Remarkably Clean

• News
  • Thread starter pattylou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    clean
In summary, the conversation discusses the level of scandal and controversy within the administrations of George W. Bush and Bill Clinton. While some argue that Bush's administration has had its fair share of scandals, others point out that Clinton's presidency also faced numerous controversies. The conversation also brings up the topic of intervention in conflicts, with Kosovo being compared to the invasion of Iraq. Ultimately, the conversation ends with one individual expressing their dissatisfaction with both political parties and their voting strategy.
TheStatutoryApe said:
Since he [Clinton] has been out of office though I have heard some suprisingly idiotic things come out of his mouth so I have to say I'm not so sure he's all that bright so much as slick and charming.
Well, there is a reason they called him "Slick Willie" long before he was President. People generally cite his Rhodes scholarship as proof of intelligence, but intelligence alone does not guarantee competency.

Physics news on Phys.org
edward said:
http://www.truthout.org/docs_05/011905D.shtml
For fun, I looked at that link. It lists 34 scandals of the Bush Presidency. Could you do me a favor and and count how many of them actually involve anyone from his administration? For example, what does a possible bribery of one Senator by another (#17) have to do with Bush?

Last edited by a moderator:
TheStatutoryApe said:
I'm embarassed to say but I never paid that much attention to him while he was in office. Since he has been out of office though I have heard some suprisingly idiotic things come out of his mouth so I have to say I'm not so sure he's all that bright so much as slick and charming.
Are there websites, books, etc. devoted to the things Clinton says the way there are for Bushisms? Come on, you know Bush is the most embarrassing—don’t make me spend time documenting this.

This is rather typical.. the entire conservative administration has set itself up for a major downfall, and the hardcore nutters are trying to blame it all on clinton :rofl:

russ_watters said:
I'm disappointed in you, pattylou. Liberals are supposed to be the compassionate ones, and you can't think of any? Heck, one such failure resulted in the resignation of a major cabinet member.
If you want full treatment of why that bumper sticker is just mindless, meaningless rhetoric, start a new thread about it - there is just too much there, on multiple levels, to do it here without hijacking the thread.
No, I just have no idea what you're on about.

Can you answer the question? So far you've evaded it.

What deaths were clintons fault, and how do these deaths differ from the deaths in iraq?

Thanks Russ, I'll be looking forward to your answer.

-Patty

p.s. I've made no comments about the bumper sticker, don't know why you thought I had.

pattylou said:
p.s. I've made no comments about the bumper sticker, don't know why you thought I had.
Um...because that's what this entire line of discussion is about. :uhh:

So, can you answer my question?

What deaths were clintons fault, and how do these deaths differ from the deaths in iraq?

Thanks in advance, Russ.

SOS2008 said:
Are there websites, books, etc. devoted to the things Clinton says the way there are for Bushisms? Come on, you know Bush is the most embarrassing—don’t make me spend time documenting this.
I'm not defending Bush in any way. Just saying that Clinton isn't exactly clean of embarassment. Reagan wasn't either really, nor is Bush Sr.

"Read My Lips!" :wink:

Again, not defending anyone really I just don't think very highly of most politicians. As with most leaders I can think of very few that were truly great and deserving of reverence.
It seems like the really great persons are all from quite some time ago. Like some sort of "age of greatness" has passed and we're living in a world of mediocrity. Maybe it's just that the bad things about these people have mostly fallen from memory and we only want to remember the good things about them and even exagerate those things.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I'm not defending Bush in any way. Just saying that Clinton isn't exactly clean of embarassment. Reagan wasn't either really, nor is Bush Sr.

"Read My Lips!" :wink:

Again, not defending anyone really I just don't think very highly of most politicians. As with most leaders I can think of very few that were truly great and deserving of reverence.

It seems like the really great persons are all from quite some time ago. Like some sort of "age of greatness" has passed and we're living in a world of mediocrity. Maybe it's just that the bad things about these people have mostly fallen from memory and we only want to remember the good things about them and even exagerate those things.
I guess it is a spectrum, perhaps from mediocre to really bad. Some things have deteriorated over the generations, but mostly it is the increase of media coverage. Political leaders are only humans like everyone else.

SOS2008 said:
I guess it is a spectrum, perhaps from mediocre to really bad. Some things have deteriorated over the generations, but mostly it is the increase of media coverage. Political leaders are only humans like everyone else.
Nobody can argue the perfection of any politician. We're all 'picking the lesser of any number of evils'. Bush is just particularly evil.

pattylou said:
So, can you answer my question?
Thanks in advance, Russ.
Just so the question doesn't get lost.

pattylou said:
Just so the question doesn't get lost.
Don't you get it?

It's only 'liberals' that need proof.

Russ just goes off and hooks into things like the GDP from 1944 to 1988 like he did on the other thread and thinks that is good enough.

We're required to take it on faith.

Surely you remember all those deaths ... er? ... or was it THOSE deaths ... I can't be sure.

To be honest I'm less interested in the actual deaths, and more interested in whether Russ recognizes the importance of providing references when you make a claim.

As a super mentor, he should.

Russ?