Estimating f on [20,50] with Midpoint Rule

• Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed using the Midpoint Rule to estimate the average value of a continuous function on the interval [20, 50]. It was mentioned that the formula for the average value is (1/b-a), and the midpoint rule is the same as the midpoint sum except that dt is factored out of the equation. The conversation also mentioned that the midpoint sum can be found by dividing the interval by the number of pairings, and then finding the midpoints between the f(x) values. In order to find the average value, the midpoint sum is divided by the interval.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The table gives values of a continuous function. Use the Midpoint Rule to estimate the average value of f on [20, 50]

Code:
x      20  25   30   35   40   45   50  
f(x)   42  38   31   29   35   48   60
6_5_15.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
You were asked to find the "adverage value of the function over the interval".
Dont forget that to find this it is the intergral divided by the interval.

you also have your midpoint formula wrongly set up
delta x = (b - a)/n
so (50 - 20)/6

then you find the midpoints between the 7 f(x) values, note you used the x values in this step instead of the f(x) values

Midpoint sum = (50 -20)/60 * (.5(42 + 38) + .5(38 + 31) ...)

Now that you have the midpoint sum, or in other words the intergral of the function, divide that by the interval of 30. The anwser of 38.3333 is correct.

Your 1st post... Welcome!

Thanks for the explanation.

(b-a)/n is what I have, but I used 7 and you used 6. I guess that's because they're being paired up, so its only 6 pairings?

But then you use (50-20)/60 instead of (50-20)/6. Where did the 60 come from?

When I punch this into the calculator, I get
(50-20)/60 * (.5*(42+38)+.5*(38+31)+.5*(31+29)+.5*(29+35)+.5*(35+48)+.5*(48+60))
which equals 116.

Edit ***
I forgot to divide by 30. If I use (50-20)/6 instead of 60, and divide by 30 I get 38.66667, instead of 38.33333. I'm guessing the 60 was a typo? I'm still off by 1/3

Last edited:
Last edited:

1. What is the Midpoint Rule and how does it work?

The Midpoint Rule is a method used to estimate the integral of a function over a certain interval. It works by dividing the interval into smaller subintervals and approximating the area under the curve by using the midpoint of each subinterval.

2. Why is the Midpoint Rule useful in estimating f on [20,50]?

The Midpoint Rule is useful in estimating f on [20,50] because it provides a simple and accurate approximation of the integral over the interval. Additionally, it is particularly useful when the function being integrated is not continuous or when the function is difficult to integrate analytically.

3. How do you determine the number of subintervals to use when using the Midpoint Rule?

The number of subintervals used in the Midpoint Rule can be determined by taking the length of the interval (in this case, 50-20=30) and dividing it by the desired width of each subinterval. This width is typically denoted as 'n' in the formula for the Midpoint Rule.

4. Can the Midpoint Rule be used to estimate any type of function?

Yes, the Midpoint Rule can be used to estimate any type of function as long as the function is continuous over the interval being considered. It is important to note that the accuracy of the approximation may vary depending on the shape of the function.

5. How does the accuracy of the Midpoint Rule compare to other methods of estimating integrals?

The accuracy of the Midpoint Rule is generally considered to be moderate. While it may not provide the most precise estimation of the integral, it is usually more accurate than the Left or Right Endpoint Rules and is much easier to use than Simpson's Rule. It is also more accurate than the Trapezoidal Rule for certain types of functions.