Any thoughts on Introduction to Mathematical Statistics by Hogg, Craig, and McKean?

In summary: I don't know how much of what is in the text is covered in other introductory probability textbooks, but I think I'll look for one and see if that would be a better option. Thanks for your reply!
PieceOfPi
Any thoughts on "Introduction to Mathematical Statistics" by Hogg, Craig, and McKean?

Dear PF members,

I was looking for a textbook for my mathematical statistics course, and it turns out that Introduction to Mathematical Statics by Hogg, Craig, and McKean will be the book for the course. I've read some reviews on https://www.amazon.com/dp/0130085073/?tag=pfamazon01-20, and it has some various comments like "It's a fairly good book" as well as "It's not a good introductory book for statistics!" So I was wondering if any of you have any comment on this book. I have never taken probability and statistics before (I learned it a little bit in high school, but that's just about it), but I have satisfied the prerequisite for the class (i.e. multivariable calculus and linear algebra).

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Maybe this isn't a very popular textbook?

PieceOfPi

Actually, I think this is a pretty popular text, or at least was in its earlier incarnations. I have only a minor familiarity with it, but it seems that regardless you have to get the book for your class, yes? I recall the book being at a reasonable level for someone with your background. I never really read the book - just picked it up off the shelf in the library and glanced through it, so I cannot say if it is good to learn from. Since you have not mentioned taking a probability class, I am guessing the first part of your course (if not the entire course) will concentrate on probability theory. If you need another book on probability theory to help, I would recommend "a first course on probability" by ross - an old edition can be bought used for little money.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply, jasonRF

jasonRF said:
PieceOfPi
I have only a minor familiarity with it, but it seems that regardless you have to get the book for your class, yes?

Yes, this is for one of the stat course at my school. I also have an option to take another statistics course, which uses https://www.amazon.com/dp/0131867938/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Larsen. But the prerequisites of the courses that uses Larsen are only the first two quarters of calculus (i.e. differentiations and integrations), and while it might be a better introduction to probability and statistics, I'm afraid the course might be too easy. On the other hand, the course that uses Hogg requires linear algebra and multivariable calculus, and I think it covers more theory than applications. I don't know which is better, but I think it might be better to take the one with Hogg as long as I can handle it.

jasonRF said:
Since you have not mentioned taking a probability class, I am guessing the first part of your course (if not the entire course) will concentrate on probability theory. If you need another book on probability theory to help, I would recommend "a first course on probability" by ross - an old edition can be bought used for little money.

I think the first four chapters of Hogg deals with probability and distributions, and I assume the first quarter of this sequence will probably focus on probability. But I can see another textbook on probability might be better. For example, I've read the first few sections of Hogg (I checked it out from the library), and I feel like the text is covering this stuff pretty lightly (e.g. If I haven't taken combinatorics before, I'd probably be lost around permutations, combinations, and inclusion-exclusion formula, which is in section 1.3).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difficulty level of this textbook?

The difficulty level of this textbook is considered to be intermediate to advanced. It assumes a strong background in calculus and probability theory and requires a solid understanding of mathematical concepts.

2. Are there any prerequisites for using this textbook?

Yes, this textbook assumes a strong foundation in calculus and probability theory. It is recommended for upper-level undergraduate or graduate students in mathematics, statistics, or related fields.

3. What topics are covered in this textbook?

This textbook covers a wide range of topics in mathematical statistics, including probability theory, random variables, sampling distributions, estimation, hypothesis testing, and linear models. It also includes real-world applications and examples to illustrate the concepts.

4. Is this textbook suitable for self-study?

While this textbook can be used for self-study, it is recommended to have a strong background in mathematics and statistics to fully grasp the concepts. It is best used as a supplement to a course or with the guidance of an instructor.

5. Are there any online resources available for this textbook?

Yes, the authors provide a companion website with additional resources, including data sets, solutions to selected exercises, and supplementary materials. There are also other online resources, such as lecture notes and video lectures, that can be used in conjunction with this textbook.