Circular motion - plane going around a loop

In summary: That's the normal force.In summary, the pilot's apparent weight at the top of the vertical circular loop is one-third of his true weight on the ground. Using the equation F_net = ma and a_normal = v^2/R, the radius R of the plane's circular path can be found to be 1960 m. The normal force on the pilot is in the same direction as his weight, which is downward when he is upside down. On the sides of the circle, the normal force is a diagonally upward force to balance the pilot's true weight and provide the inward force needed to keep him in the circle.
Bensky

Homework Statement

A pilot flies an airplane in a vertical circular loop at a constant speed of v = 160 m/s. If the pilot's apparent weight at the top of the loop is one-third of his true weight on the ground, find the radius R of the plane's circular path.

Answer: R= 1960m

Homework Equations

F_net = ma
a_normal = v^2 / R

The Attempt at a Solution

Top of the loop
-----------------------
mg - N = mv^2 / R
=> N = mg - mv^2/R

mg - mv^2/R = (1/3) * mg
g - v^2/R = (1/3)g
-25600 / R = (-2/3)g
=> R = 3918.367347 m

This is wrong. The answer should be 1960 m, which is exactly half of my answer strangely enough. I am not seeing what I did wrong here at all, can someone point out where I screwed up?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What direction is the normal force of the plane on the pilot? (Realize that he's upside down.)

Doc Al said:
What direction is the normal force of the plane on the pilot? (Realize that he's upside down.)

So I guess the normal force should be in the same direction as the weight? Thank you, that did give me the correct answer but I'm confused as to why this is happening or why it matters that he is upside down...I guess I don't fully understand what exactly the normal force is. I've really only seen it used in incline plane problems where it is the force exerted by the "plane" on the object.

EDIT: I think I might understand now. I'm imagining the floor of the plane (which is "above") pressing downward on his feet. Is this why it is in the same direction as the weight?

The plane pushes up on the pilot's butt, but since the plane is upside down, that's a downward force. The normal force will be whatever it needs to be to maintain the required acceleration. In this problem, you are told that the pilot's weight is insufficient to keep him moving in that vertical circle at the top of the loop (he's going too fast)--so the seat has to exert additional force to help provide the centripetal acceleration.

Bensky said:
EDIT: I think I might understand now. I'm imagining the floor of the plane (which is "above") pressing downward on his feet. Is this why it is in the same direction as the weight?
Yep!

Doc Al said:
The plane pushes up on the pilot's butt, but since the plane is upside down, that's a downward force. The normal force will be whatever it needs to be to maintain the required acceleration. In this problem, you are told that the pilot's weight is insufficient to keep him moving in that vertical circle at the top of the loop (he's going too fast)--so the seat has to exert additional force to help provide the centripetal acceleration.

Yep!

Ok, thanks.

And I know this is not part of the problem, but on the sides of the circle, what would the directions for normal force and weight be?

Bensky said:
And I know this is not part of the problem, but on the sides of the circle, what would the directions for normal force and weight be?
The true weight, of course, always points down. If the plane is traveling in a vertical circle at constant speed--not so easy to arrange--then the net force on the plane is always towards the center. The same is true for the pilot. For him to not slide around in the plane, the seat must exert a force to balance his true weight and provide the inward force to keep him in a circle. So the seat must exert a diagonally upward force on him.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path around a fixed point, also known as the center of rotation. This type of motion is characterized by a constant speed but a continuously changing direction.

2. How does circular motion differ from linear motion?

Circular motion involves a curved path, while linear motion involves a straight path. In circular motion, the object's velocity is always tangent to the circle, while in linear motion, the velocity is in the same direction as the object's motion.

3. How does gravity affect circular motion?

Gravity plays a crucial role in circular motion by providing the centripetal force that keeps objects moving in a circular path. Without gravity, an object would continue to move in a straight line instead of a circular path.

4. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed, while non-uniform circular motion is when the speed of the object changes at different points along the path. This can happen if there are changes in the centripetal force or if the object is moving through a non-uniform medium.

5. How is circular motion related to centripetal and centrifugal forces?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the outward force that an object experiences as a result of its circular motion. These two forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, and together they allow for circular motion to occur.