How Do I Calculate the Net Force on Sphere A in This Coulomb's Law Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the net force on sphere A, which has a charge of +2.0x10^-6 C and is located at the origin. It is mentioned that the net force on sphere B, which is located at +0.6m on the x-axis and has a charge of -3.6x10^-6 C, is known. It is also mentioned that sphere C, located at +0.8m on the x-axis and with a charge of +4.0x10^-6 C, may have a similar net force on A as sphere B. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to calculate the forces on A from spheres B and C and subtract them to find the net
mimictt
I don't really know how to solve this problem. I only know how to calculate the net force on B, not A...

here is the problem:
sphere A is located at the origin and has a charge of +2.0x10^-6 C.
Sphere B is located at +.6m on the x-axis and has a charge of -3.6x10^-6 C. Sphere C is located at +.8 m on the x-axis and has a charge of +4.0x10^-6 C. Determine the net force on sphere A.

I know how to find the net force on sphere B, since it's in the middle... but i have no idea when it comes to sphere A... would the net force on sphere A be the same as the net force on sphere C?

Thank you!

PS:im new to this forum! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Write forces on A, the one acting along +X axis ... take them positive and the opposite, take them negative ...

Keep in mind that like charges repel and unlike charges attract!

cupid.callin said:
Write forces on A, the one acting along +X axis ... take them positive and the opposite, take them negative ...

Keep in mind that like charges repel and unlike charges attract!

meaning that i should calculate the FC on A and FB on A
and then subtract these two forces to get a net force on A?

yes
because C will push A along -X and B will attract A along +X

cupid.callin said:
yes
because C will push A along -X and B will attract A along +X

THank you so much! :smile:

What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between electrically charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How is Coulomb's law related to net force?

Coulomb's law is used to calculate the net force acting on a charged particle due to the presence of other charged particles. The net force is the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on the particle.

What is the formula for calculating the force using Coulomb's law?

The formula for Coulomb's law is F = k(q1q2)/r2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb constant (8.99 x 109 Nm2/C2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

How does the magnitude and direction of the net force change with distance?

As the distance between two charged particles increases, the magnitude of the net force decreases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance. The direction of the net force is always along the line connecting the two particles.

Can Coulomb's law be applied to non-point charges?

Yes, Coulomb's law can be applied to non-point charges, but it becomes more complicated. The force between non-point charges can be calculated by dividing the objects into smaller point charges and using vector addition to find the net force.