I apologize, but I am not sure what you are asking. Can you please clarify?

• Thread starter mankin2006
  • Start date
In summary, the reason physicists use the name Bob and Alice is because it is easy to remember and it makes physics seem more egalitarian.
mankin2006
"Bob and Alice" why them?

I know it's pretty random if I asked about this , but, why do physicists ( whenever they come up with a thought experiment that includes two or more individuals) use the names : Bob and Alice

Once you think about it, it seems to be eccentric that they used Bob and Alice repetitively

Physics news on Phys.org

mankin2006 said:
I know it's pretty random if I asked about this , but, why do physicists ( whenever they come up with a thought experiment that includes two or more individuals) use the names : Bob and Alice

Once you think about it, it seems to be eccentric that they used Bob and Alice repetitively

They could just call people A and B, or any other combination of names. However, letting A=Alice and B=Bob makes it easy to remember which is which (e.g., whose frame of reference you're considering if you're doing Relativity). Plus, having one female and one male makes physics seem more egalitarian ;)

This question is easy to ask but difficult to answer.. May be A=Alice and B=Bob is right.

Geezer said:
They could just call people A and B, or any other combination of names. However, letting A=Alice and B=Bob makes it easy to remember which is which (e.g., whose frame of reference you're considering if you're doing Relativity). Plus, having one female and one male makes physics seem more egalitarian ;)

To get at the root motive, we'll really have to ask professor C=Clide.

And where are Carol and Ted?

In Poland in brain teasers it is (was?) quite common to use made up names of Abacki, Babacki, Cabacki, Dabacki (you know, questions sounding like "blah, blah, blah, if Abacki is higher than the chess owner and Babacki has a mustache, on which floor does Dabacki live?") and so on - that's exactly the same, you assign an easy to remember name to a person.

I remember a hilarious thread about this a couple of years back. Somewhere along the line someone said "it's 10x better than Observer 1 and Observer 2".

George Jones said:

When we're labeling things in physics, we often use "A" and "B" to distinguish two different sets of analogous parameters. Usually, we avoid labeling the sets x, y, z or 1,2,3 or i, j, k since these are typically reserved for labeling indices, basis vectors, and the like. So, when we're trying to come up with something easy to remember for labeling these sets, A and B seem like good first choices. And if we're trying to illustrate the lesson with a story about astronauts or flying spaghetti monsters hovering at the event horizon of a black hole or whatever, it just makes sense to name the person with set A a name that begins with A, and the person with set B something that begins with B.

And, yeah, if there's a third person involved, we'd probably stick with this convention, labeling his/her set "C" and giving that person a name that begins with C, like Clyde or Charlie or Clementine.

Alright look all! I'm tired of people getting all bent out of shape that my close friends Alice and Bob have a monopoly over demonstrating things! They had a try out for it and Alice's superb singing mixed with Bob's exceptional dance skills won the competition in the lightning round! It was fair and square!

Geezer said:
When we're labeling things in physics, we often use "A" and "B" to distinguish two different sets of analogous parameters. ...

Did you understand my reference? :biggrin:

Actually, this is an improvement over the books that were used when I went to school. Well, scrolls acually. Anyway, back then girls never rolled balls down inclines neglecting friction, fired cannon balls in the absense of air resistance, or rode in windowless rocket ships. Good on Alice, you go girl.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Actually, this is an improvement over the books that were used when I went to school. Well, scrolls acually. Anyway, back then girls never rolled balls down inclines neglecting friction, fired cannon balls in the absense of air resistance, or rode in windowless rocket ships. Good on Alice, you go girl.

\two thumbs up

George Jones said:
It's okay, George, I got it right away. :wink:

I've also often wondered why good theories always have to be 'elegant'.

Frankly said:

Me too. I mean, it's nice when a theory is pretty, but the important thing is that its predictions are good.

Frankly said:

lisab said:
Me too. I mean, it's nice when a theory is pretty, but the important thing is that its predictions are good.

Hence it must be elegant, when think of something that is elegant say like a thread of silk, you see it as a smooth, undeterred, silver line - ever continuous, ever elegant. That's how good theories are, they are smooth and deterministic ; they could describe something that is beyond our comprehension with such grace and such straight forwardness; that is also why some physicists describe QM as ugly sometimes, because it cannot be certain what the value is, ITS FULL OF PROBABILITIES! therefore it cannot be elegant

I really think Alice and Bob should be replaced with the names Kurtis and Barry: Kurtis, after my seven year old half brother; and Barry, after the cat that comes to our house.

Pengwuino said:
I remember a hilarious thread about this a couple of years back. Somewhere along the line someone said "it's 10x better than Observer 1 and Observer 2".
Tell me, tell me! What thread was it?

I use a workbook that goes over the other line, trying to use as many names as possible. One problem has "Andy, Mandy, Candy, and Randy"; another investigates the fish tank of Xiao Li; there's a pole-vault problem featuring Sergei Bubka; and the sky-diver Branco. After a while, you start missing Alice and Bob.

Back during my school exams in the UK there was a massive drive for political correctness. Therefore all exam questions would feature a boys name, a girls name and an ethnic name.

"George, Stacey and Rajij went to the park..."

[PLAIN]http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/courses/phys223/spring05/quantum.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Chi Meson said:
I use a workbook that goes over the other line, trying to use as many names as possible. One problem has "Andy, Mandy, Candy, and Randy"; another investigates the fish tank of Xiao Li; there's a pole-vault problem featuring Sergei Bubka; and the sky-diver Branco. After a while, you start missing Alice and Bob.

Okay, I understand who most of these people are, but who the heck is skydiver Branco?

I would have gone with skydiver "Dummy" Mahan. He presents a lot more opportunities for physics scenarios. http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Fred_(Dummy)_Mahan real name was Frederico Mesa, but his boxing name of Fred Mahan gave him better opportunities as a boxer in the late 20's. His nickname came from the fact that he was deaf and dumb. He fought for the welterweight championship a couple of times, but lost both fights. Along the way, someone had suggested that the pressure change created by skydiving might cure his deafness... and the couple times he tried it, it seemed to give him hearing for very short periods after the jump.

Which led to one of the worst hype events in sports history. Mahan would parachute from an airplane to cure his deafness with a bevy of reporters to record the miraculous event, which should get him into the news and increase the interest in his upcoming boxing match.

Unfortunately, the parachute failed to open.

I also think there should be at least one physics problem involving Ted throwing softballs from a 700 ft high skyscraper. (Ted Stepien threw softballs from a skyscraper he owned to celebrate buying the Cleveland Cavliers. Unfortunately, he failed to account for the wind and the softballs blew off course, smashing a car windshield, fracturing a man's cheek, and fracturing a woman's wrist. The ensuing panic resulted in numerous other minor injuries. The incident inspired one of the greatest TV episodes in history - the WKRP Thanksgiving episode).

Plus, there should be a physics problem involving soccer referee Nicole and 100,000 angry mirror wielding fans in an alternate history where Nicole actually has Liu Ling retake her penalty shot when goalkeeper Briana comes off her line early to make a save, denying the fans the opportunity to see Brandi rip her shirt off (i.e. - a replay of Arthur Clarke's short story "A Slight Case of Sunstroke").

BobG said:
Okay, I understand who most of these people are, but who the heck is skydiver Branco?

I would have gone with skydiver "Dummy" Mahan. He presents a lot more opportunities for physics scenarios. http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Fred_(Dummy)_Mahan real name was Frederico Mesa, but his boxing name of Fred Mahan gave him better opportunities as a boxer in the late 20's. His nickname came from the fact that he was deaf and dumb. He fought for the welterweight championship a couple of times, but lost both fights. Along the way, someone had suggested that the pressure change created by skydiving might cure his deafness... and the couple times he tried it, it seemed to give him hearing for very short periods after the jump.

Which led to one of the worst hype events in sports history. Mahan would parachute from an airplane to cure his deafness with a bevy of reporters to record the miraculous event, which should get him into the news and increase the interest in his upcoming boxing match.

Wow, he must have gone ballistic.

lisab said:

I see what you did there.

Chi Meson said:
I see what you did there.

:wink:

lisab said:
Lisa,

As in terminal velocity ballistic ? hehe...

Rhody... :eek: sh.., now, where is that damn rip chord !

BobG said:

Oh man, that's got to hurt

mankin2006 said:
Oh man, that's got to hurt
But easy to do. The only hard part is the ground when you come right down to it.

[itex]\copyright[/itex] 3970 BCE, Cain Adamson.

Cain was a very funny guy. In the words of Abel Adamson, "He slays me."

Last edited:

Jimmy Snyder said:
But easy to do. The only hard part is the ground when you come right down to it.
Jimmy, you are volcano-bait for sure!

Jimmy Snyder said:
Lisa is trying to out do you, but you keep coming back with priceless gems... what say you (Saturday Night Live Lisa ?)

Rhody...

turbo-1 said:
Jimmy, you are volcano-bait for sure!
Like the majority of my jokes, that one's lifted. I just edited my earlier post.

What does "I apologize, but I am not sure what you are asking" mean?

"I apologize, but I am not sure what you are asking" is a phrase commonly used when someone is unsure about the meaning or intention behind a question or statement. It is a polite way of asking for clarification or further explanation.

Why do scientists often use the phrase "I apologize, but I am not sure what you are asking"?

Scientists use this phrase because they want to make sure they fully understand the question being asked. Scientific research and experiments require precise and accurate information, so it is important for scientists to have a clear understanding of what is being asked in order to provide an accurate answer.

Can you give an example of when a scientist might say "I apologize, but I am not sure what you are asking"?

Yes, for example, if a scientist is presenting their research findings and someone in the audience asks a question that is not clear or seems to contradict the findings, the scientist may respond with "I apologize, but I am not sure what you are asking" to get a better understanding of the question before providing an answer.

Is it considered rude for a scientist to say "I apologize, but I am not sure what you are asking"?

No, it is not considered rude. In fact, it is a polite and professional way for a scientist to ask for clarification or further explanation. It shows that the scientist is actively trying to understand the question and provide an accurate response.

How can I clarify my question if a scientist says "I apologize, but I am not sure what you are asking"?

If a scientist says this phrase, you can clarify your question by providing more context or explaining your question in a different way. This will help the scientist understand what you are asking and provide a better answer. You can also ask if there is a specific part of your question that is unclear and needs further explanation.