Simplify Equations: 3(x-1)/(x+1)(x-2) + 2(x-1)/(x-2)(x-4) - Tips & Tricks

• Thread starter sabanation12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplify
In summary, when simplifying the expression 3(x-1) / (x+1)(x-2) + 2(x-1) / (x-2)(x-4), it is important to first clarify the notation and make sure the question is understood correctly. Then, the expression can be simplified by finding the common denominator and combining like terms. The resulting simplified expression is 5x^2 - 11x + 5 over the common denominator (x+1)(x-4)(x-2).
sabanation12
How would I go about simplifying this:

3(x-1) / (x+1)(x-2) + 2(x-1) / (x-2)(x-4)

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sorry, we don't do somebody else's work just like that...we help. You need to show a bit of effort, so what you have done and tried and we may indicate what it is you are doing wrong, etc.

gsal said:
Sorry, we don't do somebody else's work just like that...we help. You need to show a bit of effort, so what you have done and tried and we may indicate what it is you are doing wrong, etc.

Im working with Asymptotes. I am currently in 8th grade algebra so I have no idea how to simplify that. Like ZIP.

I know what to do once I have figured that out though, I would need to find if that simplified function has a verticle, horizontal, or oblique asymptote.

If you tell me how to simplify that, I can come up with an answer for all the asymptotes for that and THEN you could check my work

hhhmmm...maybe you should port over in the Homework forum

Its not homework though...

Read the sticky. It's a "homework-style" question. Whether it was assigned is irrelevant.

And by the way, my phrasing "How would I go about simplifying this" doesn't ask for POOF HERE'S THE ANSWER. It shows that I don't know where to even GET STARTED working the problem. Now that I have shown that this is just part of my problem and that I will show my work for the full problem once someone helps me, and that this is NOT HOMEWORK, can someone please help me? A push in the right direction? Anything?

Touche, this does seem to fit those guidelines.

How do I move this?

Err you know what, Ill go work on this somewhere else. Thanks for your guys time. I guess. -Topic Closed (essentially)

When adding fractions, you must have a common denominator.. hope that helps..

sabanation12 said:
How would I go about simplifying this: 3(x-1) / (x+1)(x-2) + 2(x-1) / (x-2)(x-4)

Thanks!

Are you sure this isn't your homework ? But this is textbook style question only. Mods kindly transfer it to homework and coursework questions section...

Use this hint : Try taking the LCM of the denominator... Let's see what do you get.

By the way , I am in 10th grade..

Last edited:
sabanation12 said:
How would I go about simplifying this:

3(x-1) / (x+1)(x-2) + 2(x-1) / (x-2)(x-4)

Thanks!

You should start by disambiguating 3(x-1) / (x+1)(x-2). As written, it should be interpreted as

[3(x-1) / (x+1)] * (x-2)

because / and times have equal precedence, so you evaluate them left to right.

But I have the feeling that's not what you meant. So the first thing is to be very clear in your mind and in your notation exactly what the question is.

Same remark for the second term as well.

Maybe this will help

[itex]\frac{3(x-1)}{(x+1)(x-2)}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{2(x-1)}{(x-2)(x-4)}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{3(x-1)(x-4) + 2(x-1)(x+1)}{(x+1)(x-4)(x-2)}[/itex]

1. What does it mean to simplify something?

To simplify something means to make it easier to understand or use by reducing or eliminating unnecessary complexities or details.

2. Why is it important to simplify things in science?

Simplification is important in science because it allows for clearer communication and understanding of complex concepts. It also helps to identify the most important and relevant information, making it easier to draw conclusions and make predictions.

3. How do scientists simplify complex ideas?

Scientists use various techniques to simplify complex ideas, such as breaking them down into smaller parts, using analogies or models, and eliminating unnecessary information. They also use clear and concise language to explain their ideas.

4. Can simplifying something in science result in inaccurate conclusions?

Yes, simplifying something in science can sometimes lead to inaccurate conclusions if important details are left out or if the simplification is not done carefully. It is important for scientists to thoroughly analyze and evaluate the information they are simplifying to ensure accuracy.

5. Is simplification only used in science?

No, simplification is used in various fields, including science, mathematics, and communication. It is a useful tool for conveying information in a more understandable and concise way, regardless of the subject matter.