Software for drawing simple diagrams for reports

In summary, the person is looking for a software that they can use to draw diagrams like those found in textbooks or lecture notes. They are concerned about time, and if an easier tool exists with similar results. They have looked into OpenOffice and InkScape, and might give Tikz a try as well.
cocopops
I'm looking for some software I can use to draw reasonable technical diagrams- the sort of diagrams you'd find in online lecture notes, or in maths/engineering textbooks, i.e. simple shapes, arrows, curves etc.

It's hard to describe what I mean, hence why I've came after nothing on Google. For graphs I'll import them from Matlab to the Latex document, so its really just for diagrams which I need to draw myself (hopefully without resorting to pen and paper then scanning...).

Also note, it can be Mac, Windows or Linux software, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's ways to do it in LaTex. It can generate great results but can also be a pretty big pain. I think one package for this is Tikz.

Last edited:
kai_sikorski said:
There's way's to do it in LaTex. It can generate great results but can also be a pretty big pain. I think one package for this is Tikz.

I agree, the results from this are exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure that I have the time to learn how to use it well, at the same time as trying to write reports, study, etc. If there was an easier tool to use with similar results, that would be what I'd use.

Thanks for you're help kai.

For simple diagrams you could use OpenOffice's presentation tool (similar to Powerpoint)

there's some vector drawing tools that can output svg that can be used in web pages or converted to images for documents. svg is great because you can reorder the drawing elements or resize them or adjust their polygon points...

http://inkscape.org/

Also the iPad has a similar vector drawing app called inkpad with the same kinds of features.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inkpad/id400083414?mt=8

jedishrfu said:
For simple diagrams you could use OpenOffice's presentation tool (similar to Powerpoint)

there's some vector drawing tools that can output svg that can be used in web pages or converted to images for documents. svg is great because you can reorder the drawing elements or resize them or adjust their polygon points...

http://inkscape.org/

Also the iPad has a similar vector drawing app called inkpad with the same kinds of features.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inkpad/id400083414?mt=8

Inkscape is one that's came up in a few searches now, so I'll have a look into it, thanks!

Looked a little more into Tikz, and it might not seem as complicated as I first thought, so I might give it a go too.

What is "Software for drawing simple diagrams for reports"?

"Software for drawing simple diagrams for reports" is a computer program or application designed specifically for creating visual representations of data or ideas for use in reports. These diagrams can include charts, graphs, flowcharts, and other types of visual aids.

What are the benefits of using software for drawing simple diagrams for reports?

There are several benefits to using software for drawing simple diagrams for reports. It allows for easier and more accurate representation of data, it can save time and effort compared to manually creating diagrams, and it often offers a variety of customization options for creating visually appealing and informative diagrams.

What features should I look for in software for drawing simple diagrams for reports?

Some key features to look for in software for drawing simple diagrams for reports include a user-friendly interface, a variety of diagram types and templates, the ability to import data from other sources, and the option to export diagrams in various formats for easy sharing and presentation.

Is there a learning curve for using software for drawing simple diagrams for reports?

The learning curve for using software for drawing simple diagrams for reports can vary depending on the specific program and the user's level of familiarity with similar software. However, most programs offer tutorials and guides to help users get started, and with practice, creating diagrams can become fairly intuitive.

Are there any free options for software for drawing simple diagrams for reports?

Yes, there are several free options for software for drawing simple diagrams for reports. Some popular examples include Google Drawings, Canva, and Lucidchart. These programs may have limited features compared to paid software, but they can still be effective for creating basic diagrams for reports.