This question may not come in the bracket of quantum mechanics but

In summary: EM force), but this is only a theory. The first option, electron degeneracy pressure, is more likely to be the cause of the solidity we see everyday.
Aditya3003
This question may not come in the bracket of quantum mechanics but here's the question-
If most of the atom is empty space what gives the illusion of solidity?

Physics news on Phys.org

A common answer: electrons repel electrons (EM force)...
A more interesting answer: the electron Degeneracy Pressure.

gomunkul51 said:
A common answer: electrons repel electrons (EM force)...
A more interesting answer: the electron Degeneracy Pressure.

Well, I'm not expert on QM, but I think that these are two distinct effects, and that the first one (Coulomb repulsion) is what is responsible for the "illusion of solidity" in everyday objects. Otherwise, how would you explain the solidity of non-degenerate matter?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

cepheid said:
Well, I'm not expert on QM, but I think that these are two distinct effects, and that the first one (Coulomb repulsion) is what is responsible for the "illusion of solidity" in everyday objects. Otherwise, how would you explain the solidity of non-degenerate matter?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

You are correct, those are distinct. The first one, as I said, was a common answer given by physicists. The second answer is different but more interesting as it may in fact be what stops materials going through each other. I was mealy pointing the OP to the right direction, where he may find a full answer to his question.

*Degeneracy pressure exist in metals and other materials, they don't have to be "degenerate matter" to be affected by it. What makes the later one exceptional is that degeneracy pressure in the dominant force in that matter.

Brian Cox recently hosted a good lecture on Quantum mechanics and covered this quite well I thought.
Here's the lecture, thankfully it was posted on YouTube as it isn't on BBC iPlayer anymore.

http://youtu.be/4f9wcSLs8ZQ

Edit: Also, at one point, it gets very funny with some rude innuendo. What innuendo isn't rude!

Last edited:

MartinJH said:
Brian Cox recently hosted a good lecture on Quantum mechanics and covered this quite well I thought.
Here's the lecture, thankfully it was posted on YouTube as it isn't on BBC iPlayer anymore.

http://youtu.be/4f9wcSLs8ZQ

Cool video!
Brian tries to explain elementarily, that the illusion of solidity is caused by electron degeneracy pressure. Option No. 2.

What is the difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics deals with the motion of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of microscopic particles. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics is probabilistic in nature.

How does quantum mechanics explain the concept of superposition?

In quantum mechanics, superposition refers to the ability of a particle to exist in multiple states at the same time. This is explained by the wave-like nature of particles, where they can exist in a combination of different states until they are observed and their wave function collapses into a single state.

What is the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This is due to the wave-particle duality of particles, where the more accurately we know one property, the less accurately we can know the other.

How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon where two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances. This is explained by the concept of non-locality in quantum mechanics, where particles can influence each other without any physical connection.

What is the role of quantum mechanics in modern technology?

Quantum mechanics has played a crucial role in the development of modern technology, including the invention of transistors, lasers, and computer chips. It also has applications in fields such as cryptography, quantum computing, and quantum teleportation.