Recommendations for a book on Graph Theory?

In summary, Participants in a discussion are seeking recommendations for a good introductory book on combinatorics and graph theory that is readable and has applications. Suggestions include Introductory Graph Theory by Gary Chartrand and Introduction to Graph Theory by Robin Wilson, with the added note that Wilson is the son of a former British Prime Minister.
Sleepy 104
I am currently taking a combinatorics class that surveys a little bit of graph theory and it piqued my interest. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good introductory book on the subject? I am really interested in finding a book that is very readable and not the standard definition, lemma, theorem, proof, etc. style. I don't know if that is common for texts in the fields of combinatorics and graph theory or not. I am also very interested in applications, however I am not a computer science student and I don't know if that's all an introductory book could be applied to. If at all possible, I would love to find a book that had applications to physics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you very much!

Oh wow, that's cool. Thanks for the recommendation and trivia!

1. What is Graph Theory?

Graph Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of graphs, which are mathematical structures used to model pairwise relations between objects.

2. Why is Graph Theory important?

Graph Theory has applications in a wide range of fields, including computer science, engineering, social sciences, and biology. It provides a powerful tool for analyzing and solving real-world problems involving networks and relationships between objects.

3. Can you recommend a beginner-friendly book on Graph Theory?

Yes, "Introduction to Graph Theory" by Richard J. Trudeau is a great beginner-friendly book that covers the basics of Graph Theory in a clear and understandable manner.

4. Are there any advanced books on Graph Theory for those with a strong mathematical background?

Yes, "Graph Theory" by Reinhard Diestel is a comprehensive and in-depth book that covers advanced topics in Graph Theory for readers with a strong mathematical background.

5. Is there a specific programming language that is commonly used for implementing Graph Theory algorithms?

No, there is no specific programming language that is exclusively used for implementing Graph Theory algorithms. However, some popular languages for this purpose include Java, Python, and C++.