Any math games for big people?

• Thread starter benorin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Games
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of math games for adults, with suggestions such as tangoes, math pentathlon games, and "Hotel Cardinality." Sudoku is also mentioned as a potential option, with a mention of a mathematical pattern or algorithm to solve them.
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Are there any math games (say, computer games) that are for big people? I don't want to hear about multiplication tables, or Math Blaster... I'm tallkin': "Oh no. Our hero's house is burning down: Can you help him solve these nasty tripple integrals in time :eek: ?" kinda stuff. Well, just asking.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
LOL. I think you've found a hole in the market. :biggrin:

benorin said:
Are there any math games (say, computer games) that are for big people? I don't want to hear about multiplication tables, or Math Blaster... I'm tallkin': "Oh no. Our hero's house is burning down: Can you help him solve these nasty tripple integrals in time :eek: ?" kinda stuff. Well, just asking.

hey...l tangoes are fun for all ages...

and then there are the math pentathlon games (you need to change the rules slightly to make it more challenging for adults)

There's a bunch of prize puzzles out there.

How about something like "Hotel Cardinality" where you're the manager of hotel with a countable set of rooms each of which is occupied. Some new guests arrive and your task is to rearrange the current occupants so as to make room for your new guests.

It takes time and patience to solve the problem but you're rewarded at the end with Level II!

Let me guess...

Level I:The Cantor set room layout
Level II:The Serpinski carpet room layout
Level III: Hilbert cube room layout...

What else?

Oh, you said countable. Right. So is an explicit bijection necessary? or is a proceedure for contruction sufficient?

SUDOKU! probably the latest japanese phase to come to north america in 2-3 years...or you could pick up a problem solving book like
Larson. "Problem Solving"

Pssh. Su Doku. I still think there's a mathematical pattern to it all, or at least a programmeable algorithm to solve them.

of course there is...its rather easy to program. but its still none-the-less a mathematical (permutative) solution.

1. What are some examples of math games for big people?

Some examples of math games for big people include Sudoku, 2048, and KenKen.

2. Are there any math games for big people that can help improve mental math skills?

Yes, games like Math Dice, Math War, and MentalUP are designed to improve mental math skills in a fun and engaging way.

3. Do these math games require any special equipment or materials?

No, most math games for big people only require basic materials like paper, pencils, and playing cards. Some may also be available as mobile or online games.

4. Are there any math games for big people that can be played in groups?

Yes, games like Set, Prime Climb, and Codenames incorporate mathematical concepts and can be played with a group of people.

5. Can these math games be beneficial for adults or are they mainly for children?

Math games for big people can be beneficial for adults as well. They can help improve critical thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making skills, which are important for people of all ages.