Confused on how they derived this

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the conversation discusses the quantized energy levels of an electron in a one-dimensional atom, with a focus on the equation E_n = n^2(h^2/(8ml^2)). The conversation also explains the inclusion of c^2 in the equation and its relation to the conversion factor hc = (1239.8eV*nm).
Pengwuino
Gold Member
The book I am using did a simple little algebra and it is showing the quantized energy levels of an electron in a one-dimensional atom of width 0.1nm.

They did this:

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
E_n = n^2 \frac{{h^2 }}{{8ml^2 }} \\
E_n = n^2 \frac{{h^2 c^2 }}{{8mc^2 l^2 }} \\
E_n = n^2 \frac{{(1239.8eV*nm)^2 }}{{(8)(0.511*10^6 eV)(0.1nm)^2 }} \\
\end{array}[/tex]

But where did the c^2 go on top?

Physics news on Phys.org
The [tex] c [/tex] has been put with the [tex] h [/tex] to give something with units of [tex] [E][T]\frac{[L]}{[T]} = [E][L] [/tex], and numerically [tex] h c = 1239.8[/tex] eV nm. This is one of those common estimation factors, although I remember it as [tex] \hbar c \sim 200 [/tex] eV nm.

Last edited:
Oh ok i get why they did this. They have a conversion at the front of the book for hc = (1239.8eV*nm) that i didn't notice or make the connection to.

1. How do scientists derive information?

Scientists derive information through a process called the scientific method. This involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to reach a conclusion.

2. What is the role of data in deriving information?

Data is crucial in deriving information as it provides evidence to support or refute a hypothesis. Scientists use various methods to collect, analyze, and interpret data to make informed conclusions.

3. How do scientists ensure their derived information is accurate?

Scientists use rigorous methods and protocols to ensure the accuracy of their derived information. This includes conducting controlled experiments, using reliable and validated research methods, and peer-reviewing their work.

4. Can derived information change over time?

Yes, derived information can change over time as new evidence and advancements in technology can lead to new or revised conclusions. This is why the scientific process is an ongoing and iterative process.

5. How can I understand the process of deriving information?

To understand the process of deriving information, it is important to have a basic understanding of the scientific method and to critically evaluate the evidence and reasoning presented by scientists. It may also be helpful to read scientific literature and engage in discussions with experts in the field.