Photon - Matter Interactions

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the cross-section for Compton Scattering and Pair Production when a high energy photon interacts with the Coulomb field of an atomic nucleus. The charts show that Compton decreases slowly as energy increases, while pair production rises rapidly and then levels out. The process is best solved using QED, as demonstrated in examples in Griffiths' book on particle physics. The individual asking for help has taken courses in QM and particle physics and is looking for pointers on solving the problem. They clarify that this is not a homework problem, but rather a way to keep their skills sharp.
Eryndel
First time visitor to this cool little forum we have here.

So I'm trying to figure out how to determine the cross-section of Compton Scattering and Pair Production when a high energy photon interacting with the Coulomb field of an atomic nucleus. I see a lot of pretty charts and/or values showing Compton slowly going down as energy increases, while pair production rises rapidly and then levels out. Usually these charts are for Al or Fe. How do they come up with these?

Specifically I'm looking on how to do this on my own, looking for sigma[Compton] and sigma[PP] as a function of E[gamma] and Z. I have a hunch that this would best be done using QED, but I might be mistaken.

As for my background, I've take a few courses in QM using Cohen-Tannoudji (sp?) and a brief survey course in particle physics using Griffiths. I've been seriously eyeing Zee's QFT in a Nutshell, and will definitely pick this up in the near future.

Any pointers on how to best solve this problem?

[This isn't a homework problem, I'm out of school and trying to keep my tools sharp. But if this is better in the Homework section of this forum, feel free to move this. My apologies, I'm new here.]

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eryndel said:
First time visitor to this cool little forum we have here.

I wish you good luck.

Specifically I'm looking on how to do this on my own, looking for sigma[Compton] and sigma[PP] as a function of E[gamma] and Z. I have a hunch that this would best be done using QED, but I might be mistaken

Your "hunch" is right. Scattering processes are QED problems. The 8 rules menu of Feynman QED shows you how to calculate the total amplitude for any scattering process. Griffiths does that for you in Ch7, check the examples: 7.1 to 7.4

regards

sam

Hello and welcome to our forum! I'm glad you're finding our discussions interesting and informative.

To answer your question, the cross-section of Compton scattering and pair production can be determined through theoretical calculations using quantum electrodynamics (QED) and also through experimental measurements. The values you see in the charts are likely a combination of both.

In QED, the cross-section can be calculated using Feynman diagrams, which represent the interactions between particles. In the case of Compton scattering, the diagram would involve an electron and a photon exchanging energy. For pair production, the diagram would involve a high energy photon creating an electron-positron pair.

The values in the charts may also include experimental measurements, which involve shooting high energy photons at a target and measuring the resulting particles. These experiments can be done using particle accelerators or other high energy sources.

As for determining the cross-section on your own, it would require a solid understanding of QED and the relevant equations. Zee's QFT in a Nutshell is a great resource to learn more about this topic. You can also check out other textbooks or online resources on QED to deepen your understanding.

I hope this helps and good luck with your studies! Don't hesitate to ask any further questions or share your findings with us on the forum.

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light that carries energy. It has zero mass and moves at the speed of light.

2. How do photons interact with matter?

Photons can interact with matter through three main mechanisms: absorption, scattering, and emission. In absorption, the photon's energy is transferred to the matter, causing an electron to move to a higher energy level. In scattering, the photon's energy is redirected in a different direction. In emission, the photon's energy is released from the matter in the form of light.

3. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where photons of light can cause electrons to be emitted from a material. This effect is used in technologies such as solar panels and photoelectric cells.

4. How does the energy of a photon affect its interactions with matter?

The energy of a photon determines its wavelength and frequency, which in turn affects its interactions with matter. Photons with higher energy can cause more significant changes in matter, such as ionizing atoms, while photons with lower energy may simply be absorbed or scattered.

5. What is the significance of photon-matter interactions in everyday life?

Photon-matter interactions play a crucial role in many everyday technologies, such as light bulbs, solar panels, and even the functioning of our eyes. They also have important applications in fields such as medicine, where photons are used in techniques like X-rays and laser therapy.