Understanding Euler's Formula: The Geometric Connection to e

• Thread starter Markjdb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, e^(i*x) = cos x + i*sin x = the unit circle on the complex plane. e is a part of the formula because it transforms the addition on the real numbers into multiplication of complex numbers of length one. There is no specific connection between e and the unit circle, because |a^ix|=1 for any a.
Markjdb
I was reading several articles on Euler's identity, which is:
e^(i*x) = cos x + i*sin x

I understand what this formula describes: the unit circle on the complex plane, but I never really understood why e is there from a geometric point of view. So my question would be, what relationship does e have with the unit circle and why is it, as a result, a part of the formula?

Any links would also be greatly appreciated.

- Mark

Physics news on Phys.org
it has to do with the fact that exponentiation turns addition into multiplication, and the unit circle consists of the multiplicative group of complex numbers of length one.

so e^it transforms the adition on the real numbers t into multiplication of complex numbers of length one.

Markjdb said:
So my question would be, what relationship does e have with the unit circle and why is it, as a result, a part of the formula?

It simply means that the infinitesimal change in z along a circular path is directly proportional to z: [itex]dz = dx + i dy = i z d\theta[/itex]

Look at the Taylor's Series for eix, cos x, and sin(ix).

there is no speceifc connection with it being he unit circle, because |a^ix|=1 for any a
the reason why it's e and not any other number is that (e^x)'=e^x
it just makes everything much more comfortable

Thanks to all who responded to my post. I...I get it now! :smile:

1. What is Euler's formula?

Euler's formula, also known as Euler's identity, is an important mathematical equation that relates the exponential function, trigonometric functions, and imaginary numbers. It is written as e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and x is any real number.

2. Who discovered Euler's formula?

The formula is named after the Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler, who discovered it in the 18th century. However, there is some debate about whether he was the first to discover it, as similar equations were known by other mathematicians before him.

3. What is the importance of Euler's formula?

Euler's formula has many important applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to simplify complex calculations involving trigonometric functions, and it has connections to many other mathematical concepts, such as Fourier transforms and complex analysis. It also has practical applications in fields like electrical engineering and signal processing.

4. Can Euler's formula be proven?

Yes, Euler's formula can be proven using calculus and complex analysis. The proof involves expanding the exponential and trigonometric functions using their respective Taylor series, and then using some algebraic manipulation to arrive at the formula. However, the proof is quite complex and requires a strong understanding of these mathematical concepts.

5. Is Euler's formula related to the famous "Euler's identity"?

Yes, Euler's formula is the basis for the famous "Euler's identity", which is written as e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0. This identity is sometimes referred to as the "most beautiful equation in mathematics" due to its simplicity and connections to many important mathematical concepts.