A question regarding state spaces

• Thread starter vacuum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    State
In summary, the person is trying to learn about quantum mechanics and is looking for guidance. They mention a book called "Functional Analysis" by Erwin Kreyzig. They also mention another book called "Quantum Mathematical Physics" by Thirring. They recommend that someone else look into these books if they want more information on the subject.
vacuum
I am trying to get oriented in all those QM spaces.

I would appreciate if somenone could point out some source of information (preferably online, though paper is also fine :-) ) which explains the matter in form understandable to humans.

More specifically I need explanation of generalised functions basises (Latin plural of basis would be 'basii'?) and representation of state functions in them as well as how does the Dirac notation transcend to these new objects (As far as I know it was defined with the aid of space - dual space product, which is somewhat more complicated when talking about rigged Hilbert spaces etc.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by vacuum
(Latin plural of basis would be 'basii'?)

plural in latin and in english (check your dictionary next time you need to know a spelling, or if you don t have one, use dictionary.com) of the word "basis" is "bases"

Thank you very much for resolving this issue Lethe.

However those other questions still remain. Perhaps I should post this in some other section? Any hints?

Thank you very much for resolving this issue Lethe.

However those other questions still remain. Perhaps I should post this in some other section? Any hints?
i m not quite sure what your question is, which is why i didn t say anything. if you want to learn about hilbert spaces, you can probably start with a beginning quantum mechanics book. or if you are more serious, a functional analysis book.

Originally posted by lethe
i m not quite sure what your question is, which is why i didn t say anything. if you want to learn about hilbert spaces, you can probably start with a beginning quantum mechanics book. or if you are more serious, a functional analysis book.

Yes, when I re-read my original post I found it rather uncomprehensible. I wanted to put too much questions in too little space.

Let me try to explain what I need more precisely:

I had a course of mathematical physics in which (for example) a Dirac notation was introduced and this course was based finite dimension spaces.

Now, when I got to Hilbert spaces there was a leap without much mathematical rigour from finite spaces to Hilbert spaces using the same mathematical formalism! I know now how to employ those mathematic instruments to solve problems, but the justification for using them was left out.

Since I didn't find any sort of strict mathematical transition from one case to another in literature I have on disposal, I was wondering if anyone here can recommend me something (more specific than 'functional analysis book' :)

Since I didn't find any sort of strict mathematical transition from one case to another in literature I have on disposal, I was wondering if anyone here can recommend me something (more specific than 'functional analysis book' :)

are there any specific issues you would like to ask questions about?

anyway, a standard textbook for functional analysis is Reed + Simon, Functional Analysis, part of his series on mathematical physics. also try Quantum Mathematical Physics by Thirring, and Quantum Field Theory by Ticciati. those books also deal with the mathematics of Hilbert spaces rather rigorously.

i will retract my earlier advice that you check a beginning quantum mechanics book. those books tend to gloss over at best, or ignore entirely at worst, the mathematical problems that arise when you move from finite dimensional to infinite dimensional Hilbert spaces.

Last edited:
I am trying to get oriented in all those QM spaces.

I would appreciate if somenone could point out some source of information (preferably online, though paper is also fine :-) ) which explains the matter in form understandable to humans.

I was refreshing myself this past summer on this and thought it would be nice to make a web page to have a clear straightforward description of all this. Here is the page I created --
http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/qm/state_space.htm

Hope it helps

Thanks people. This was very helpful for me!

hi!
there is a good functional analysis book by Erwin Kreyzig...which has hilbert spaces and banach spaces and stuff!

What is a state space?

A state space is a mathematical representation of a system or process, where each state represents a specific configuration or condition of the system. It can also refer to the set of all possible states that a system can be in.

Why is understanding state spaces important?

Understanding state spaces is important because it allows scientists and researchers to model and analyze complex systems and processes. It can also help in predicting the behavior of a system under different conditions and making informed decisions.

How do you define a state space?

A state space is typically defined by a set of variables or parameters that describe the system, along with a set of rules or equations that govern the behavior of the system. These variables and rules can be represented mathematically, graphically, or in other forms.

What are the limitations of state spaces?

State spaces can become very complex and difficult to analyze when dealing with large and highly interconnected systems. They also assume that the system is in a well-defined state at all times, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.

How are state spaces used in different fields of science?

State spaces are used in various fields of science, such as physics, biology, economics, and computer science. They are often used to model and understand complex systems and processes in these fields, and can also be used for optimization, control, and prediction purposes.