Concept problems. multi choice check my answers.

In summary, the book didn't provide answers to the questions asked, but the author provides reasoning behind the choices made in answering the questions.
PhillyGixxer
Ok i am studing and the book doesn't give answers. Here are a few questions i gave. What do you think.

I will list pictures and test.

For pic/question 1 - Will the answer be
d - roatating the loop 90 degree ?

Would it make sense that since the magnetic field is going into the paper i would want the resistor (R) to be perpendicular to the Mag field ?

Attachments

• quiestion1.jpg
    quiestion1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 367
Physics news on Phys.org
question 2

My answer would be
d- induced magnetic field clockwise.

Reasoning- using the right hand rule with the thumb (V) pointing down, my fingers would rotate around clockwise. :confused:

Attachments

• question2.JPG
    question2.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Questions 3 (last one for tonight - tried)

I would say that the answer is
C- the element is an inductor

Since the voltage leads and the current lags behind makes me choice this one.

Attachments

• question3.JPG
    question3.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 315
Q1. Current will be induced in the loop if the magnetic flux throught the loop is changed. Flux incorporates both the strength of the magnetic field and the area that the field goes through.

a) will cause a decrease in the amount of flux through the loop, since the area of the loop is reduced the amount of flux going throught the loop changes - which will induce an current throught the loop (any change in flux will induce a current, no matter if it decreases or increases)

b) will decrease the flux through the loop since the magnetic field is decreased - again a change in flux

c) will cause an increase in flux through the loop

d) will present less area to the magnetic field to go through as it is rotated, so a flux decrease will result, which will induce a current throught it

So all of the changes will induce a current in the loop.

Last edited:
PhillyGixxer said:
question 2

My answer would be
d- induced magnetic field clockwise.

Reasoning- using the right hand rule with the thumb (V) pointing down, my fingers would rotate around clockwise. :confused:

The answer is A. Use the right hand rule, with the magnetic field going perpendicular to the wire, out from the magnet (out from the centre of the circle), and you use the force opposing motion. When you do this, you will get the induced current going counter clockwise around the ring from the viewer's perspective.

Q2 This is an application of Lenz's law. The flux through the ring decreases as it falls downwards. The induced current should therefore be such that the magnetic field that it generates will cause the flux throught the ring to increase.

1. What are concept problems?

Concept problems are questions that require a deeper understanding of a particular concept or idea, rather than just recalling facts or information. They often involve critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. How are concept problems different from other types of questions?

Concept problems are different in that they do not have a single “right” answer. Instead, they require a thorough understanding of the concept being tested and the ability to apply that understanding to a given situation.

3. Why are concept problems important in science?

Concept problems are important in science because they test a student’s understanding and application of key concepts, rather than just memorization of facts. They also help students develop critical thinking skills, which are essential for scientific research and problem-solving.

4. How can I improve my performance on concept problems?

To improve your performance on concept problems, it is important to first thoroughly understand the underlying concepts. Then, practice applying those concepts to different situations and scenarios. You can also seek help from teachers or peers if you are struggling with a particular concept.

5. Can concept problems be subjective?

Yes, concept problems can be subjective to some extent, as they may require interpretation and application of a concept in a particular context. However, there are still certain objective criteria that can be used to evaluate the correctness of an answer, such as logical reasoning and evidence-based arguments.