Find Out How High Bungee Jumper Rebound After First Jump

In summary, the conversation discusses finding out how high a bungee jumper will rebound after their first jump. A link is provided for a formula and explanation, which explains that the potential energy of the jumper becomes kinetic energy during the fall and then converts back to potential energy in the bungee cord. However, the possibility of energy loss due to internal heat from the rubber stretching is also mentioned.
gelf
i was wondering how you find out how high a bungee jumper will rebound back up after his first jump

Physics news on Phys.org
That didn't really help i needed for a formula or an explanation

gelf said:
i was wondering how you find out how high a bungee jumper will rebound back up after his first jump

Hm, I hope this helps: http://www.pa.uky.edu/~moshe/phy231/lecture_notes/bungee_forces.html".

Last edited by a moderator:
PE of the jumper becomes KE during the fall, which in turn becomes PE in the cord.

If we are ignoring drag, then he will reach the same height he jumped from. (Conservation of energy)

Wouldn't internal heat from the rubber stretching rob some of the energy from that?

1. How does bungee jumping work?

Bungee jumping involves jumping from a tall structure with a bungee cord attached to your body. As you fall, the cord stretches and recoils, slowing your descent and bringing you back up.

2. How high do people typically bungee jump?

The height of a bungee jump can vary, but most commercial jumps range from 100 to 200 feet. Some extreme jumps can reach up to 1,000 feet.

3. How long is the bungee cord?

The length of the bungee cord used for a jump depends on the height of the jump and the weight of the jumper. A general rule is that the cord should be about four times the height of the jump.

4. How does the bungee cord prevent injuries?

The bungee cord is designed to stretch and absorb the energy of the fall, preventing the jumper from hitting the ground with a lot of force. The recoil of the cord also helps to bring the jumper back up without hitting the ground again.

5. How high does a bungee jumper rebound after the first jump?

The height of the rebound depends on various factors such as the height of the jump, the weight of the jumper, and the elasticity of the bungee cord. On average, a bungee jumper can rebound up to 1/3 of the distance they fell from.