What is the Length of a Curve with Imaginary Values?

In summary: I would have expected the software to give all three roots. From what you say next, it sounds like what you are actually working with is [itex]x= 3(y^{4/3}- \frac{3}{32}y^{2/3})[/itex]. That is not at all the same as [itex]x= 3y^{4/3}- \frac{3}{32}y^{2/3})[/itex]. If that's correct, then, using your notation, x'= 4y1/3- (3/16)y-1/3 and x'2= 16y2/3- (3/2)+ (
blumfeld0
hi. i am trying to find the length of the curve
Find the length of the curve
x = (3) *y^(4/3) - (3/32)*y^(2/3) from -64<_y<_27

so i do the usual

calculate( 1 + (dx/dy)^2 ) ^(1/2)

then do the integral from -64 to 27 with respect to y

the only thing is i get an imaginary answer!

someone could please shed some light on this

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
If you expect some one to tell you what you did wrong you will need to show exactly what you did! All I can say now is that you must have done some step of the calculation incorrectly. For this problem, [itex]1+ (\frac{dx}{dy})^2} is a perfect square: there is no square root in the integral so you couldn't possibly have got an imaginary answer!

hi. well i did everything on mathematica

i took the derivative, squared it, added one and took the square root of the whole thing. then i integrated with respect to y from -27 to 64
i.e (1+ dx/dy^2)^1/2 from -27 to 64 with respect to y

can you please tell me what the perfect square is?

thanks

blumfeld0 said:
then i integrated with respect to y from -27 to 64

Didn't you say you needed to integrate from -64 to 27?

yeah sorry that's what i meant

-64 to 27

blumfeld0 said:
hi. well i did everything on mathematica

i took the derivative, squared it, added one and took the square root of the whole thing. then i integrated with respect to y from -27 to 64
i.e (1+ dx/dy^2)^1/2 from -27 to 64 with respect to y

can you please tell me what the perfect square is?

thanks
Well, if it isn't important enough for you to write out exactly what you did, it certainly isn't important enough for me to do that- it's not my problem!

Two things.

Firstly this curve is a multivalued function, there are multiple answers unless you restrict yourself to a certain set. On my software at least, inputting (-1)^(1/3) evaluates to 1/2 + i*sqrt(3)/2, so it seem to be choosing one of the imaginary values here. If that's the case... something terrible will happen. In your case, the integral is imaginary.

Secondly, even if you fix the first problem, this curve has a discontinuity in its derivative at y=0. His will also result in horribleness if I remeber correctly.

Where did you get this curve? Perhaps the original parameterisation will be more forgiving.

Doing some algebraic manipulations by hand can usually radically alter the output of the computer. Even if it's just something simple like factoring f1/3+f-1/3 =f1/3(1 + 1/f2/3).

Although this is from using maple, not mathematica. It may not help you

Last edited:
If x = (3) y(4/3) - (3/32)y(2/3)
then x'= 4y1/3- (1/16)y-1/3
so x'2= 16y2/3- (1/2)+ (1/256)y-2/3
Then 1+ x'2= 16y2/3+(1/2)+ (1/256)y-2/3= (4y1/3+ (1/16)y-1/3)2
and its square root is
4y1/3+ 1/16 y-1/3

As others pointed out, that's an improper integral because it is not defined at y= 0 so you have to be careful about it.

ObsessiveMathsFreak said:
On my software at least, inputting (-1)^(1/3) evaluates to 1/2 + i*sqrt(3)/2, so it seem to be choosing one of the imaginary values here.
That's the "principal third root of -1" but its odd that your software would give it as "the" root. In the real numbers, of course, the third root of -1 is -1.

1. What is the definition of length of a curve?

The length of a curve is the distance between its two endpoints, measured along the curved line.

2. How is the length of a curve calculated?

The length of a curve can be calculated using a mathematical formula called the arc length formula. It involves integrating the square root of the sum of the squares of the derivatives of the curve's x and y coordinates.

3. What are some real-life applications of calculating the length of a curve?

The length of a curve is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. It is used to calculate the distance traveled by a moving object following a curved path, determine the amount of material needed to construct a curved structure, and analyze the shape and size of objects in nature.

4. Can the length of a curve be infinite?

Yes, the length of a curve can be infinite if the curve is infinitely long or if it has infinite oscillations. For example, the length of a sine curve is infinite as it continues to oscillate indefinitely.

5. How does the length of a curve relate to its curvature?

The length of a curve and its curvature are directly related. A curve with a higher curvature will have a shorter length than a curve with a lower curvature. This is because a higher curvature means the curve is more sharply bent, resulting in a shorter distance between its endpoints.