Anyone have a good example of an ester

• Thread starter afcwestwarrior
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of combining compounds to create esters. The website provided is a resource for understanding how to esterify compounds. The conversation also mentions the use of esterification in creating pleasant smelling substances and the potential for experiments to go wrong.
afcwestwarrior
i need help on figuring out how to combine the compounds and make them an ester, in other words i need help with esters,

Chemistry news on Phys.org
check this out, say i have isomyl and i make it react with acetate, how will it look and what do i do to combine them and how do i write them out

thanks man big time

I'm sure you already know plenty of examples of esters. Things that smell nice are a lot of times esters. Their carboxylic acid counterparts stink to high heaven though! A classic undergrad O chem experiment is taking something horrible like butyric acid and esterfying it to get something that smells nice.

gravenewworld said:
I'm sure you already know plenty of examples of esters. Things that smell nice are a lot of times esters. Their carboxylic acid counterparts stink to high heaven though! A classic undergrad O chem experiment is taking something horrible like butyric acid and esterfying it to get something that smells nice.

Heh, we just did that lab in my ochem class. Unfortunately the product was an ugly solid that smelled 10 times as bad as the goat smelling caproic acid to begin with. Got to love when good labs go horribly wrong.

1. What is an ester?

An ester is a type of organic compound that is formed when an alcohol reacts with an organic acid. It is characterized by a carbon-oxygen double bond and is commonly used in various industries, such as food, fragrance, and pharmaceuticals.

2. How is an ester formed?

An ester is formed through a process called esterification, where an alcohol and an organic acid react in the presence of a catalyst. This results in the formation of an ester and water as a byproduct.

3. Can you provide an example of an ester?

One example of an ester is ethyl acetate, which is commonly used as a solvent in nail polish and glue.

4. What are some uses of esters?

Esters have a wide range of uses in various industries. They are commonly used as flavoring agents in food and beverages, fragrances in perfumes and cosmetics, and as intermediates in the production of plastics and pharmaceuticals.

5. Are esters harmful to the environment?

Esters are generally considered to be safe and non-toxic to the environment. However, some esters may pose a risk if they are not disposed of properly. For example, some esters can contribute to air pollution if released into the atmosphere.