Compressor Power Equation | Factors & Link

• Thread starter spiraltooth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compressor
In summary, the compressor power equation is used to calculate the amount of power needed for a compressor to operate. It takes into account factors such as the compressor's discharge pressure, gas volume flow rate, and efficiency. The equation also includes a link factor, which represents the relationship between the compressor's actual power and the ideal power required for perfect compression. By understanding these factors and using the appropriate equation, engineers can accurately determine the power requirements for compressors in various applications.
spiraltooth
Please give me the equation with a link if possible for determining power for a compressor. I know volume x pressure differential / efficiency but I think the gas being compressed also is a factor. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
From my old thermo notes, a non-isentropic compressor has a power of:

[tex]\dot{W} = \frac{\dot{m}C_pT_1}{\eta_c} \left[\left(\frac{P_2}{P_1}\right)^{(\frac{\gamma-1}{\gamma})}-1\right][/tex]

You can see the same equation here:
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/compth.html

Last edited:
The site seems to be down at the moment but there are online calculators for recips and centrifs at www.processassociates.com

To to process tools section.

Fred, from your equation a vacuum pump that has a 1bar/.01bar pressure ratio needs more power than a compressor that has a ratio of 10bar/1bar? Is m the molecular weight or the volume?

Last edited:
m is mass flow rate.

I'll have to look around a bit, but a vacuum pump most likely will not be applicable here. I'm not sure, I don't deal with them.

Hello, I'm working on a model of a fan and I have the characteristic curves Flow/impelled power and flow/total pressure.

I also have the relation of adiabatic compression you have written but it concerns the Head (in meters) and not the mass flowrate. Therefore, my question is : how do you get the outlet pressure of a fan knowing the characteristic curves and the formula with the head ?

More clearly that possible to convert the Head (m) into a differential pressure (Pout-Pin) or even the outlet Pressure of the fan (Pout) ?

Thank you for any idea.

Last edited:
Hi, somebody knows this formula?

HP= Q * 63 * Ln(Pd/Ps)

Is a rare formula that are been used in a pipeline gas.

Thanks.

Felipe

PD: Sorry if I make a mistake in the english, I speak spanish.

spiraltooth said:
Fred, from your equation a vacuum pump that has a 1bar/.01bar pressure ratio needs more power than a compressor that has a ratio of 10bar/1bar? Is m the molecular weight or the volume?

[tex]\dot{m}[/tex] is the mass flow rate, & is equal to [tex]\rho[/tex][tex]\dot{V}[/tex]

ie. work required also depends upon the inlet density.

1. What is the compressor power equation?

The compressor power equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the power required to run a compressor. It takes into account factors such as the volume flow rate, pressure ratio, and efficiency of the compressor.

2. What are the factors that affect the compressor power equation?

The factors that affect the compressor power equation include the type of compressor, the volume flow rate, the pressure ratio, the efficiency of the compressor, and the type of gas being compressed.

3. How do these factors impact the compressor power equation?

The volume flow rate and pressure ratio directly affect the power required to run the compressor, with higher flow rates and pressure ratios requiring more power. The type of compressor and its efficiency also play a role in determining the power needed. Additionally, different gases have different properties that can affect the power equation.

4. What is the link between the compressor power equation and compressor efficiency?

The compressor power equation and efficiency are closely linked. The equation takes into consideration the efficiency of the compressor, meaning that a more efficient compressor will require less power to run. Conversely, a less efficient compressor will require more power to achieve the same results.

5. How can the compressor power equation be used in practical applications?

The compressor power equation is commonly used in the design and operation of compressors in various industries, such as oil and gas, manufacturing, and refrigeration. It can help engineers and technicians determine the appropriate size and type of compressor needed for a specific application, as well as optimize its performance and efficiency.