Determine acceleration from position vs time graph

In summary, a position vs. time graph shows the relationship between an object's position and time, with position on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. The slope of the line represents the object's velocity, and the curvature represents its acceleration. To determine acceleration, one can calculate the slope at a specific point or find the second derivative of the position function. A horizontal line indicates that the object is at rest or stationary. The acceleration affects the shape of the graph by causing it to curve, with a positive acceleration resulting in an upward curve and a negative acceleration resulting in a downward curve. While a position vs. time graph does not directly show an object's speed, the slope of the line can be used to calculate its velocity.
Momentum09
Hi,
I was given a position vs. time graph of a projectile. I estimated the instantaneous velocity at the first 1/2 height, climax, and the second 1/2 height. From these slopes I created a velocity vs. time graph and use the slope of this line for my acceleration, but I keep getting this problem wrong.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
OK,

Now if you want some help you will need to ask a question.

Hello, thank you for sharing your approach to determining acceleration from a position vs time graph. Your method of estimating the instantaneous velocity at different points and creating a velocity vs time graph is a valid approach. However, it is important to note that the slope of a velocity vs time graph gives the acceleration at a specific point in time, not the entire motion of the projectile.

To accurately determine the acceleration of the projectile, you would need to take the average acceleration over the entire motion. This can be calculated by finding the slope of the line connecting the initial and final velocities on the velocity vs time graph. Another method is to use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

It is possible that your approach may be yielding incorrect results due to inaccuracies in estimating the instantaneous velocity or creating the velocity vs time graph. I would recommend double-checking your calculations and ensuring that your graph accurately represents the motion of the projectile.

Additionally, it is always helpful to include units in your calculations and to label your graphs properly. This will help to ensure that your final answer has the correct units and is easy to interpret.

I hope this helps and good luck with your future experiments!

1. How do you interpret a position vs. time graph?

A position vs. time graph shows the relationship between an object's position and time. The object's position is represented on the y-axis and time is represented on the x-axis. The slope of the line on the graph represents the object's velocity, and the curvature of the line represents the object's acceleration.

2. How do you determine acceleration from a position vs. time graph?

To determine acceleration from a position vs. time graph, you can calculate the slope of the line at a specific point on the graph. This can be done by finding the change in velocity over the change in time at that point. Alternatively, you can also find the second derivative of the position function to determine the object's acceleration.

3. What does a horizontal line on a position vs. time graph indicate?

A horizontal line on a position vs. time graph indicates that the object is not moving, or its velocity is zero. This means that the object is at rest or stationary.

4. How does the acceleration affect the shape of a position vs. time graph?

The acceleration affects the shape of a position vs. time graph by causing the line to curve. A positive acceleration will result in an upward curve, while a negative acceleration will result in a downward curve. The steeper the curve, the greater the acceleration.

5. Can you determine an object's speed from a position vs. time graph?

No, a position vs. time graph only shows an object's position and does not directly represent its speed. However, the slope of the line on the graph can be used to calculate the object's velocity, which is a measure of its speed and direction of motion.