Are yellow ribbons truly supporting our troops?

• News
  • Thread starter jb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Support
In summary, people in the neighborhood are tying yellow ribbons as a symbol of support for troops overseas. However, some question the effectiveness of this gesture and believe it may be more about showing off patriotism rather than truly supporting the troops. Others suggest more practical ways of showing support, such as enlisting or volunteering to help families of deployed soldiers. Some see it as just another American trend. The tradition of hanging yellow ribbons dates back to the desire for the safe return of POWs and MIAs and serves as a reminder to not forget or leave soldiers behind. The display of flags after 9/11 has decreased but some still remain. Ultimately, while symbols may be visible, practical actions may have a greater impact.
jb
around my neighborhood, people have jumped on the bandwagon and started tying yellow ribbons around just about everything they could. i know this is meant to show they support the troops overseas, but how exactly does tying a ribbon around a tree help a soldier who's being shot at? I'm starting to think it's more of a badge of pride for some people, like they're trying to say, "hey, look at me! I'm a patriot! i support our troops!"

if these people are so gung-ho about the war and supporting the troops, why don't they support them by enlisting and fighting in iraq? I'm sure that would help the cause. or as a local newspaper editorial suggested, they could volunteer to help the family of a deployed soldier around the house, doing chores, running errands, or taking care of the kids while a parent works to make ends meet.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is about:

1) belonging to a club
2) mistaking symbols for what they stand for
3) being lazy, scared, or self-centered, and covering it with a bogus 'show of support'
4) incorporating it along with REAL support

This sounds like another one of those American things :wink:

Patriotism is something natural so if someone talks about supporting these troops of his country it shouldn't be taken in any wrong sense and also if someone don't like this then it doesn't mean that he is not patriotic, its just a way of looking at the things but near me both expressions are right...

Greetings !

As far as I know yellow ribbons are hung in
the US to signify the wish for safe return of
US POWs and soldiers that are MIA. As such,
I think they are an important symbol that
indicates that these soldiers must not be
forgotten and must be released or their
whereabouts confirmed. The "we're not leaving
our own behind" message is essential for
any democratic country and is an important
moral booster for the troops themselves.

Live long and prosper.

In the days right after 9/11, when every house, vehicle, man, woman, child, and pet was wearing an American flag, a friend of mine sardonically wondered how many of those flags would stay up after it stopped being a fashion statement.

Not too many, as it turned out.

I suppose there are less, but they're still visible everywhere, we've just acclimated.

Regards

Hmmmm...symbols are a waste compared to something useful. Go enlist, or petition the government to get them better equipment, or knit a sweater.

1. What do yellow ribbons represent?

Yellow ribbons have been used as a symbol of support for troops since the early 1970s during the Vietnam War. They represent the hope and determination for the safe return of soldiers who are serving their country.

2. How did yellow ribbons become associated with supporting troops?

The yellow ribbon tradition is believed to have originated from a folk song called "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree". In the song, a woman asks her love to tie a yellow ribbon around a tree as a sign that she is welcome back home. This symbol was later adopted by military families and communities to show support for soldiers returning from war.

3. Do yellow ribbons actually make a difference in supporting troops?

Wearing or displaying a yellow ribbon may not make a direct impact on supporting troops, but it serves as a visible reminder to those who are serving that they are appreciated and not forgotten. It can also bring a sense of unity and solidarity within a community.

4. Are there any other symbols or actions that can show support for troops?

Yes, there are many other ways to show support for troops such as sending care packages, writing letters, volunteering at a veterans' organization, or simply thanking a soldier for their service. These actions can have a more direct and personal impact on supporting troops.

5. Are yellow ribbons still relevant today?

Yes, yellow ribbons are still a widely recognized symbol of support for troops and are often displayed during times of conflict or to honor soldiers who have made the ultimate sacrifice. However, it's important to also take action and support troops in tangible ways to truly make a difference.