How do concave mirrors form different types of images?

In summary, a student asks for help with physics problems, particularly with understanding the use of parallel light rays in showing the difference between regular and diffuse reflection and the change in type of image in concave mirrors. They also inquire about the differences between real and virtual images, and why convex mirrors can only produce virtual images. Additionally, they seek assistance with understanding the angles of incidence and reflection in relation to light striking mirrors.
banana44
hey guys i really need help with these problems.I am not good with physics at all, i just need this to graduate . I really don't understand it and my teacher isn't much help. If anyone can help me out with this i would really appericiate it.
Thank you.

1.Why are parallel light rays used to show the difference between regular and diffuse reflection?
2.List some situations where the letters on signs are reversed. Explain why it is being done.
3.As the object is moved along the principle axis toward the vertex of a concave mirror, the type of image changes. Where does the change in type of image occur? Explain why, in terms of the path of the light rays.
4.Explain the difference between a real and virtual image.
5.Explain why concave mirrors can produce real or virtual image, but convex mirrors can produce only virtual image.
6.Concave mirrors are used in searchlights and solar ovens. Draw two diagrams to show the path of light in each case, and explain why these two applications demonstrate the principle of the reversibility of light.
7.Describe the similarities and differences of the properties of the images formed in a plain mirror and a convex mirror. Why are convex mirrors used for security purposes in stores, rather than plane mirrors?
8.Usha wants to take a picture of her own image in a plane mirror. At what distance should the camera lens be focussed if it is positioned 2.3 m in front of the mirror?
9.A ray of light strikes a mirror at an angle of 550 to the normal.
a)What is the angle of reflection?
b)What is the angle between the incident ray and the reflected ray?
10.A ray of light strikes a mirror at an angle of 570 to the mirror surface. What is the angle between the incident ray and the reflected ray?
11.What is the angle of incidence if the angle between the reflected ray and the mirror surface is 340?
12.Light is shining on to a plane mirror at an angle of incidence of 270. If the plain mirror is tilted such that the angle of incidence is reduce by 80, what will be the total change in the angel of reflection from the original reflected light?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi banana44! :smile:

You've asked a very long question!

And you know you're suppposed to show how far you've got, so that we know how to help you. :smile:

Let's start with 4 and 5:
banana44 said:
4.Explain the difference between a real and virtual image.

5.Explain why concave mirrors can produce real or virtual image, but convex mirrors can produce only virtual image.

What is the definition of a real image?

What is the definition of a virtual image?

Then just answer 5 in ordinary language. And draw a diagram as part of your answer.

Have a try! :smile:

1. What is the mirror equation?

The mirror equation is a mathematical formula that relates the distance of an object from a curved mirror to its image distance and focal length. It is used to calculate the position and size of an image formed by a mirror.

2. How do light rays interact with mirrors?

When light rays hit a mirror, they are reflected according to the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. This means that the angle between the incoming light ray and the normal (perpendicular) line to the mirror surface is equal to the angle between the reflected light ray and the normal line.

3. What is the difference between a concave and convex mirror?

A concave mirror curves inward and is thicker at the edges than in the middle, while a convex mirror curves outward and is thicker in the middle than at the edges. This difference in curvature affects the way light rays are reflected and results in different types of images being formed.

4. How does the position of an object affect the position of its image in a mirror?

The position of an object relative to a mirror affects the position of its image. If the object is farther away from the mirror, the image will be closer to the mirror. If the object is closer to the mirror, the image will be farther away. The distance of the image from the mirror is also affected by the focal length of the mirror.

5. Can the mirror equation be used for all types of mirrors?

Yes, the mirror equation can be used for all types of mirrors, including flat, concave, and convex mirrors. However, it is important to note that the equation may need to be modified for spherical mirrors due to their curved shape.