Help solving problem involving inequalities

In summary, the conversation is about a problem in the book "A Companion to Analysis: A Second First and First Second Course in Analysis" by T. W. Körner. The problem involves proving a statement about the continuity of a function using an inequality in the space of rational numbers. Various approaches are suggested and discussed, including considering the two cases of x>y and x<y separately, and using substitution and algebraic manipulations. The most straightforward solution is outlined in a previous post, involving considering the region in the x,y plane that satisfies the inequalities.
mlearner
Hi all,

I'm trying to teach myself analysis using the book "A Companion to Analysis: A Second First and First Second Course in Analysis" by T. W. Körner.

There's an inequality problem in there that's used to prove a statement about the continuity of a function, that I've got stuck in (problem 1.16, part (iii), in case you happen to have the book):

Working in [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] (the space of rational numbers), if [itex]x^2<2[/itex] and [itex]\delta=\frac{(2-x^2)}{6}[/itex], show that [itex]y^2<2[/itex] whenever [itex]|x-y| < \delta[/itex]

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How about |x-y|<(2-x^2)/6<1/3, thus y<1/3-x<1/3+sqrt(2)<2 since sqrt(2)=1.41.. and 1/3=0.33..

That doesn't seem to be quite correct...
It needs to be proven that [itex]y^2 < 2[/itex], not [itex]y < 2[/itex] - the latter doesn't imply the former.
Also, I have the feeling the author expects a solution that doesn't explicitly using the value of [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex], since no such rational number [itex]x[/itex] exists such that [itex]x^2=2[/itex].

The best way to approach it is to find the region in the x,y plane that satisfies the inequalies.

With the |x-y| term you're best off to consider the two cases (x>y and x<y) seperately.

For example.

Case1. Assume y>x

y < 1/3 + x - x^2 /6.

That is, we are looking for the region of the x,y plane where both y>x and y < 1/3 + x - x^2 /6 are satisfied. It's pretty straight forward to find, just the region between a parabola and a straight line.

Repeat for the other case (y<x) and you'll soon know everything that you could wist to kinow about the solution region and the inequality y^2<2 will be immediately apparent.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies... I posted the same problem on Usenet sci.math, and was offered a simpler solution (although I managed to solve the problem myself in pretty much the same way immediately after posting the question on sci.math - funny that).
|x-y| < d (d is delta)
=> |y| < |x| + d
=> y^2 < x^2 + d^2 + 2|x|d < x^2 + d^2 + 4d
and then showing d^2 + 4d < (2-x^2)
from which the result follows.

Will this way work?:

|x-y| < (2-x^s)/2

Substitute sqrt (2) for x, and you get

sqrt (2) - y < 0

- y < - sqrt (2)

y > sqrt (2)

y^2 > 2

sqrt (2) - y > 0

- y > - sqrt (2)

y < sqrt (2)

y^2 < 2So therefore, y^2 does not equal 2, and you get your answer of y^2 < 2

Last edited:
Ah no, you have to show it for all values of x and y that satisfy the inequalities, not just a specific set.

MadScientist 1000 said:
Will this way work?:

|x-y| < (2-x^s)/2

Substitute sqrt (2) for x, and you get

sqrt (2) - y < 0

- y < - sqrt (2)

y > sqrt (2)

y^2 > 2

Nah, that's not right, for at least two reasons: (1) It is clearly specified that x^2 < 2, i.e. -sqrt(2) < x < sqrt(2), so a substitution of x = sqrt(2) is not justified, and in fact leads to |sqrt(2)-y|<0 , which can never be true (because the absolute value of a number is either greater than or equal to zero). (2) A second reason is that we're dealing in rational numbers (as specified in the original problem): sqrt(2), for us, "doesn't exist", so such a substitution would be "cheating" (even if problem (1) didn't exist).

IMO, the easiest-to-follow solution is the one outlined in my previous post. I'll "latexify" it and fill in the missing steps in my next post, in case someone's interested.

Last edited:

What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities and shows that they are not equal. It uses symbols such as <, >, ≤, and ≥ to represent the relationship between the two quantities. For example, 3 < 5 is an inequality that shows that 3 is less than 5.

How do I solve a problem involving inequalities?

To solve a problem involving inequalities, you first need to simplify the inequality as much as possible. Then, use properties of inequalities to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality symbol. Finally, graph the solution on a number line or write it in interval notation.

What are the properties of inequalities?

The properties of inequalities are similar to the properties of equations. They include the addition and subtraction property, multiplication and division property, and the property of combining like terms. These properties allow you to manipulate the inequality without changing its truth value.

How do I graph the solution to an inequality?

To graph the solution to an inequality, first identify the variable and its coefficient. Then, plot the variable on a number line and use an open or closed circle to represent the value. If the inequality is < or >, use a dashed line to connect the points. If the inequality is ≤ or ≥, use a solid line to connect the points. Shade the region that satisfies the inequality.

What is the difference between an equation and an inequality?

An equation shows that two quantities are equal, while an inequality shows that they are not equal. Equations have an equal sign (=) and inequalities have inequality symbols (<, >, ≤, or ≥). Additionally, solving an equation results in one specific value for the variable, whereas solving an inequality results in a range of values that satisfy the inequality.