Accessing LHC Data - Best Ways to Monitor Experiments

• Thread starter kempo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data Lhc
In summary, the conversation revolves around the upcoming first beam circulation and collisions at CERN's LHC. The participants discuss the best way to monitor the experiments and what data will be made available to the public. It is mentioned that raw data is not readily accessible and only collaborators who have made contributions to the experiments will have access to it. The conversation also touches upon the immense amount of data being generated and the difficulty in processing it all.
kempo
Hi Chaps,

As I'm sure we all are, I'm literally jumping up and down with excitement about next weeks first beam circulation - and only 31 days till the first collisions!

Obviously, the CERN / LHC website is a great resource, but to someone who is still finding their feet in the particle physics - what would people say is the best way of monitoring the different experiments? There seems to be lots of charts and data, but I'm struggling to work out what, if any of it, is "live" and what is already decommisioned or irrelevant. I'm looking at a few places, in particular:

http://lhc-operation.web.cern.ch/lhc-operation/Default.htm"
http://ab-dep-op.web.cern.ch/ab-dep-op/vistar.php?usr=LHC"

Also, does anyone know what CERN's intentions are on releasing data to the public? I'd love to get some mitts on some raw numbers, not that i'd really know what to do with them...

Thanks very much,

Kempo

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I very much doubt that raw data will be distributed to the general public. Of course, it depends on what you mean by "raw" also: firstly, the detectors are computers which decide which data is important in real time. This data then gets sent to another computer which "reconstructs" interesting events before the physicists ever get to see anything. It's done this way because, if it weren't, there would be literally too much data for even a computer to digest. Then, I presume the data will go to CERN, who will then choose what they wish to release. I can't see this happening for quite a while, though.

So, whilst I understand you're excited for the first collisions in just over a month, nothing "interesting" will really happen for quite a long time after that!

yeah fair point... I was reading the other day about the datacentre they've built for it which is mind-blowing in itself.

I guess it's just a case of sticking to the press releases and the papers. I'm just impatient.

Many thanks

kempo

Unless you are a collaborator, you don't have access to raw data. Being a collaborator implies contributing, like calibrating a detector or writing a piece of useful software. Now, that applies to a team of people, so some students will indeed only see raw data analysis but they are part of a larger group, itself part of the collaboration.

Humanino is right. The way it works is that if you want access to the data, you need to make a contribution.

A while back, a number of theorists were clamoring to have the Tevatron experiments release their raw data, and a few of the more excitable ones even started making sounds like "Freedom of Information Act". At one point, the experiments said something like "If you really want a copy, we'll make you one - but you have to provide the blank media and pay the overtime for the computer operators to copy it." This would run into millions and probably tens of millions.

What is the Large Hadron Collider (LHC)?

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator. It is located at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Switzerland and is used to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them.

What is the purpose of accessing LHC data?

The purpose of accessing LHC data is to analyze and interpret the vast amount of data produced by the particle collisions in the LHC. This data can provide insight into the fundamental laws of nature and potentially lead to new discoveries in physics.

What are the best ways to monitor experiments at the LHC?

There are several ways to monitor experiments at the LHC, including using specialized detectors, analyzing data in real-time, and collaborating with other scientists. Additionally, CERN has developed various software tools and platforms that allow researchers to access and analyze LHC data remotely.

How is LHC data stored and shared?

LHC data is stored in a distributed computing system called the Worldwide LHC Computing Grid (WLCG). This network of interconnected computers, called nodes, allows for the storage and sharing of data among scientists and institutions around the world. Additionally, CERN has established various open data initiatives to make LHC data accessible to the general public.

What challenges are associated with accessing and monitoring LHC data?

One of the main challenges of accessing and monitoring LHC data is the sheer volume of data produced by the particle collisions. This requires advanced computing resources and specialized software tools to analyze and interpret the data. Additionally, data security and privacy are important considerations when sharing LHC data with other researchers and the public.