Help with drive system and data collection in a home-made wind tunnel

In summary, the speaker is working on a project to design and build a wind tunnel using common hardware store materials, with the goal of creating a simple yet aerodynamically sound model for middle and high school students. They are seeking advice on a suitable fan for the drive system and affordable options for data collection, such as force probes or using a smartphone.
AeroIntern
Hello,
I'm working on a project in which I need to design and build a home-made wind tunnel, and then publish instructions on building and using such a wind tunnel. My design is intended for middle school and high school student research, so it is simple yet as aerodynamically sound as I can make it. When finished, it will be an open-circuit, closed-test section tunnel of about 6-7 feet in length. I'm using common hardware store materials to build it.

I've run into a couple snags--first of all, I need a good fan for the drive system. In Pope's Low Speed Wind Tunnel Testing, it is specified that about 34 fps is ideal. I cannot find any such fan at my local Lowes or Home Depot. Anybody got any ideas about the type of fan, and/or where to get it? Also, I'm having trouble with data collection. Balances are too expensive or too difficult to build for students, so I'm looking into force probes, button load cells, and strain gauges. Anybody got any advice for me?

Thanks in advance! I appreciate your help!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello,

It sounds like you are working on an interesting project. Designing and building a wind tunnel can be a challenging but rewarding experience. As for your question about the fan, it is important to use a fan that can provide a consistent and controlled air flow. Ideally, you would want a fan with adjustable speed settings to achieve different wind speeds. One option could be a computer case fan, which can be found at electronics stores or online. You can also try looking for industrial fans or fans specifically designed for wind tunnels.

In terms of data collection, there are several affordable options available. Force probes and button load cells can be purchased online or at science supply stores. Another option could be to use a smartphone or tablet with a built-in accelerometer to measure the forces on the model in the wind tunnel. You can also try using a simple spring scale to measure the drag force on the model. It may not be as accurate as other methods, but it can still provide valuable data for students to analyze.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project! Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.

1. How can I design an efficient drive system for my home-made wind tunnel?

The key to designing an efficient drive system for a wind tunnel is to choose the right motor and propeller combination. The motor should have enough power to rotate the propeller at high speeds, and the propeller should be designed to create a strong and steady airflow. It's also important to properly balance the propeller to minimize vibrations and ensure smooth operation.

2. What type of data can I collect from my home-made wind tunnel?

With a well-designed wind tunnel, you can collect a wide range of data, including airspeed, air pressure, and turbulence. You can also use specialized equipment, such as hot-wire anemometers and pressure sensors, to collect more detailed information about the airflow characteristics.

3. How can I calibrate my wind tunnel for accurate data collection?

Calibrating a wind tunnel involves comparing the measurements from your instruments to known values and making any necessary adjustments. This can include adjusting the airspeed, correcting for any sensor errors, and ensuring the air is flowing evenly throughout the tunnel. Regular calibration is essential to ensure accurate and reliable data.

4. What materials should I use to build my home-made wind tunnel?

The materials you use to build your wind tunnel should be lightweight, rigid, and durable. Commonly used materials include PVC pipes, aluminum or steel framing, and polycarbonate sheets. It's also important to consider the properties of the materials, such as their resistance to heat and corrosion, to ensure they can withstand the conditions inside the wind tunnel.

5. Can I simulate different wind speeds and conditions in a home-made wind tunnel?

Yes, you can simulate different wind speeds and conditions in a home-made wind tunnel by adjusting the motor speed and the angle of the propeller. You can also change the shape and size of the tunnel's test section to simulate different wind tunnel environments, such as low-speed or high-speed flows. However, it's important to note that the accuracy of these simulations may vary depending on the design of your wind tunnel.