How to make a poster with latex?

In summary, the conversation discusses the request for a latex file to use as a template for creating a 48 x 36 poster. Options for finding templates are suggested, including installing a latex package specifically for posters or using a template from a website. The conversation ends with the suggestion that using a specialized poster package would result in a better-looking poster.
symbol0
Does anybody have a latex file that I can use as a template to make a 48 x 36 poster?
Any help is welcomed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi symbol0,

I think it would be a good idea to first choose a latex package to install for creating posters, and then the websites for those packages usually have examples that you can use for a template. For example, I have used beamerposter in the past, which you can find here along with some examples:

http://www-i6.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~dreuw/latexbeamerposter.php

There are other packages (a0poster, sciposter,etc.) but I have never used them and don't know if they are better in some sense.

If you do want a latex file without installing any specialized poster packages, you might try something like the template RomePoster.tex near the bottom of this page:

http://www-hep.physics.uiowa.edu/~reno/poster/PostersREU.html

but I think the poster packages would look much nicer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much alphysicist.

Glad to help!

1. How do I get started with making a poster in latex?

To make a poster with latex, you will need to have a latex distribution installed on your computer. You can download and install a distribution, such as MiKTeX or TeX Live, for free from their respective websites. Once installed, you can use a latex editor, such as Texmaker or Overleaf, to create your poster.

2. What is the recommended paper size for a latex poster?

The recommended paper size for a latex poster is typically A0, which is approximately 33.1 x 46.8 inches. However, you can also use other paper sizes, such as A1 or A2, depending on your preferences and the requirements of your poster presentation.

3. How do I add images and graphics to my latex poster?

To add images and graphics to your latex poster, you can use the \includegraphics command. This command allows you to include images of various formats, such as .jpg, .png, and .pdf, in your poster. You can also use the \graphicspath command to specify a folder where your images are located.

4. Can I change the font and font size of my latex poster?

Yes, you can change the font and font size of your latex poster by using the \documentclass and \fontsize commands. The \documentclass command allows you to specify the type of document you are creating, while the \fontsize command allows you to set the font size. You can also choose from a variety of fonts by using the \usepackage command.

5. How do I add references and citations to my latex poster?

To add references and citations to your latex poster, you can use the \cite and \bibliography commands. These commands allow you to insert in-text citations and create a bibliography at the end of your poster. You will also need to create a .bib file that contains all of your references in a specific format, such as BibTeX or EndNote, and include it in your document using the \bibliography command.