Finding Real Function for Improper Integration

• Thread starter boombaby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: That's enough to show that the integral from 1 to infinity converges.In summary, the conversation discusses finding a real function f on (0,1] and integrable on [c,1] for every c>0, such that the integral from 0 to 1 of f(x)dx exists but the integral from 0 to 1 of |f(x)|dx fails to exist. The conversation also explores different approaches and ideas for finding such a function, including using a series-like function and defining f(x) piecewise. The conversation concludes with a discussion on proving the convergence of the integral of sin(t)/t and its contribution from each cycle.
boombaby

Homework Statement

Find a real function f on (0,1] and integrable on [c,1] for every c>0, such that [tex]\int^{1}_{0} f(x)dx[/tex] exists but [tex]\int^{1}_{0}|f(x)|dx [/tex] fails to exist

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think such function should behavior like the sequence 1-1/2+1/3-1/4+...+(-1)^n-1 1/n+...so I came up to something like [tex]\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex] sin([tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex])
But this function is not integrable on [0,1].
Moreover, I find that I don't know how to deal with the integration with |f(x)| instead. for example, I cannot find a way to integrate [tex]\int{\frac{1}{x^2} |sin(\frac{1}{x})|} dx[/tex] (can it be solved?)
Perhaps the function I need may have a totally different form...
Any hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are going to have to show |f(x)| isn't integrable by splitting the integral up into regions where is positive or negative. What's the integral from 1/((n+1)*pi) to 1/(n*pi)? It's exactly like your series.

Umm...I don't see how to use the integral from 1/((n+1)*pi) to 1/(n*pi)..it seems that it is not sufficient to show the integration converges(in any case) nor diverges(in this particular one).
But I have made some progress under your hints, but still have problems unsolved.
for some reason, I tried [tex]\int^{1}_{0} \frac{1}{x} sin(\frac{1}{x}) dx[/tex] instead.
by taking t=1/x,
[tex]\int^{1}_{0} \frac{1}{x} sin(\frac{1}{x}) dx= \int^{\infty}_{1} \frac{sin t}{t} dt[/tex].
I have proved that [tex]\int^{c}_{1} \frac{sin t}{t} dt[/tex] diverges as c goes to infinity as follows.
[tex]\int^{2n\pi}_{n\pi} \frac{|sin t|}{t} dt >= \int^{2n\pi}_{n\pi} \frac{|sin t|}{2n\pi} dt=\frac{1}{2n\pi} \int^{2n\pi}_{n\pi} |sin t|dt>=\frac{n}{2n\pi}\int^{\pi}_{0} sin t dt= \frac{1}{\pi} [/tex]
But I still have trouble to prove that [tex]\int^{\infty}_{1} \frac{sin t}{t} dt[/tex] exists.
How can I start with it?
Thanks for your patience!

Your original idea about the series is good. Why don't you try defining the function piecewise to make it work exactly as you stated it? For example, define f(x)=(n+1)*(-1)^n for x in (1/(n+1),1/n]. What's the contribution from the nth interval?

yea...I agree that your function is more good-looking...
since I see there's a hope to define the sin(1/x)-like function that works, I just stick to it...I don't know why...
BTW, I have proved that [tex]\int^{c}_{1} \frac{sin t}{t} dt [/tex]converges, as c goes to infinity...though the proof is not a brilliant one in my opinion. I sketch it below (you may check):
Let [tex]A_{i}=\int^{\pi (i+1)}_{\pi i} \frac{sin t}{t} dt[/tex] then [tex]\sum A_{i}[/tex] converges (to B).
For every epsilon>0, there's an N such that n>N implies that
[tex]B-\epsilon<\sum^{n}_{1} A_{i}<B+\epsilon.[/tex]
For any c>(N+1)*pi. there's a n>N such that n*pi<=c<(n+1)*pi. Hence [tex]\int^{c}_{\pi} \frac{sin t}{t} dt[/tex] lies in between [tex]\sum^{n}_{1}A_i[/tex](call it X) and [tex]\sum^{n+1}_{1} A_i[/tex] (call it X2), whether X>X2 or not is depending on sin c>0 or sin c<0.
if X<X2, then
[tex]B-\epsilon<\sum^{n}_{1} A_{i}<\int^{c}_{\pi} \frac{sin t}{t} dt<\sum^{n+1}_{1} A_{i}<B+\epsilon.[/tex]
if X>X2, blah blah blah..
Hence, blah blah blah...

I don't exactly follow the proof. But it has some of the right ingredients in it. You want to show that the integrals of sin(t)/t make a decreasing alternating series. That's enough to show it converges. Then you want to make an estimate to show that the magnitude of the contribution from the nth cycle is greater than k/n for some k.

1. What is improper integration?

Improper integration is a type of integration that involves integrals with infinite limits or integrands that are undefined at certain points. These integrals cannot be evaluated using traditional methods and require special techniques to find their real function.

2. Why is it important to find the real function for improper integration?

The real function for improper integration provides a more accurate and complete understanding of the underlying mathematical concept being studied. It also allows for the evaluation of the integral at any desired point, rather than being restricted to a finite range of values.

3. What are some common techniques for finding the real function for improper integration?

Some common techniques include using limits, series expansions, and substitution methods. These techniques are used to manipulate the integrand and determine the real function that corresponds to the improper integral.

4. Can improper integrals always be solved to find the real function?

No, not all improper integrals have a real function that can be found. Some integrals may be divergent, meaning that they do not have a finite value, while others may have a real function that is difficult or impossible to determine.

5. How is finding the real function for improper integration useful in real-world applications?

Improper integration is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model real-world phenomena. Finding the real function allows for more accurate predictions and analysis of these systems, making it a crucial tool in solving real-world problems.