Forces and Motion, Free-body diagrams help

In summary, the conversation discusses an object's motion described by two equations and asks for a situation that could be described by them, as well as the object's displacement after 5 seconds. The solution involves sketching a free body diagram and creating a scenario involving a rocket-propelled box on a horizontal surface. It is important to consider the concept of mass loss in a rocket and to calculate the coefficient of friction when interpreting forces.
FEMA

Homework Statement

An object motion is described by the following equations:

deltax=(0m/s)(5s)+(1/2)(ax)(5s2)

32N-18N=(12kg)(ax)

Sketch a FBD, invent a situation which could be described by these equations. How far does the object move?

Homework Equations

displacement equation
?

The Attempt at a Solution

I sketched a box with two vertical vectors in opposite direction, one representing the weight and another the normal with equal magnitudes, and two horizontal vectors, one representing the friction against the box pointing left off the box and another representing the force accelerating the box pointing right. The magnitude of the vector pointing to the right is greater than the one pointing to the left. My situation: A rocket-propelled box starts at rest on a horizontal surface; it begins to accelerate. We are looking at the box 5s after it begins to accelerate.

After 5s, the box has moved deltax=(1/2)(1.17)(52)=14.625m

Are all my answers consistent with the equations and with each other? And, when sketching displacement time and force time graphs, do I stop at 5 units on the x-axis (5s)?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi FEMA,

FEMA said:

Homework Statement

An object motion is described by the following equations:

deltax=(0m/s)(5s)+(1/2)(ax)(5s2)

32N-18N=(12kg)(ax)

Sketch a FBD, invent a situation which could be described by these equations. How far does the object move?

Homework Equations

displacement equation
?

The Attempt at a Solution

I sketched a box with two vertical vectors in opposite direction, one representing the weight and another the normal with equal magnitudes, and two horizontal vectors, one representing the friction against the box pointing left off the box and another representing the force accelerating the box pointing right. The magnitude of the vector pointing to the right is greater than the one pointing to the left. My situation: A rocket-propelled box starts at rest on a horizontal surface; it begins to accelerate. We are looking at the box 5s after it begins to accelerate.

After 5s, the box has moved deltax=(1/2)(1.17)(52)=14.625m

Are all my answers consistent with the equations and with each other? And, when sketching displacement time and force time graphs, do I stop at 5 units on the x-axis (5s)?

Thank you very much.

Depending on your teacher, you might have to be careful with the idea of a rocket. A rocket works by expelling mass, so you might have to explain how you have a system that is not losing mass during the 5s interval (or why such a loss is unimportant). Also, if you interpret one of the forces as friction, I would go ahead and calculate the coefficient since that is not difficult to do.

I would say that your solution and reasoning are both valid and consistent with the given equations. Your free-body diagram accurately represents the forces acting on the box and your chosen situation is appropriate for the given equations. Your calculated displacement of 14.625m is also consistent with the given equations and makes sense in the context of the situation you described.

In terms of the displacement and force-time graphs, yes, it would make sense to stop at 5 units on the x-axis (representing 5 seconds) since that is the time interval given in the equations. However, it is always important to check and make sure that your graphs are consistent with the equations and the situation described, so it would be a good idea to double check your graphs to make sure they accurately represent the given information. Overall, your answers seem to be consistent and well thought out. Keep up the good work!

1. What are forces and motion?

Forces are pushes or pulls that cause objects to change their motion or shape. Motion refers to the movement of an object from one position to another.

2. How do free-body diagrams help in understanding forces and motion?

Free-body diagrams are diagrams that show all the forces acting on an object. They help in understanding forces and motion by visually representing the magnitude and direction of forces, allowing for the identification of net forces and the prediction of an object's motion.

3. What are the key components of a free-body diagram?

The key components of a free-body diagram include a labeled object, arrows representing all the forces acting on the object, and a coordinate system to show the direction of the forces.

4. How do you create a free-body diagram?

To create a free-body diagram, start by identifying the object and labeling it with a dot. Then, draw arrows for all the forces acting on the object, with the direction and length of the arrow representing the magnitude and direction of the force. Finally, add a coordinate system to show the direction of the forces.

5. What are some real-life examples where understanding forces and motion is important?

Understanding forces and motion is important in various fields, such as engineering, sports, and transportation. For example, engineers use the principles of forces and motion to design structures and machines. Athletes utilize their understanding of forces and motion to perform at their best in sports. And transportation systems, such as cars and airplanes, rely on the principles of forces and motion for their functionality.