Troubleshooting a Weird LaTex Bug

In summary, there is a LaTex bug that is causing problems with posts. The bug occurs when using tex tags and sometimes displays a certain equation regardless of what is written inside the tags. It has also been observed when trying to use LaTex in signatures. The bug has been present for at least a week and can be triggered by entering incorrect LaTex code. Refreshing the page may not always resolve the issue, but it appears to be a cache issue in the browser.
Math Jeans
I'm getting this weird LaTex bug that is really messing with my posts.

Sometimes when I use the tex tags, I get this weird problem that no matter what I put inside them, the post will always display the a certain equation inside of the tags.

For example:

I am trying to edit my signature (writing my name in greek letters), however, no matter what I put inside the tags (anything at all), the only thing that will come up as a result of my tex tags will be:

[tex]\rho=\sqrt{4az_0}[/tex]

The problem is on/off (for example I don't seem to be having the problem with this particular post), however, when it ocurrs, it is very irritating.

Does anyone know what is happening?

Here is a screenshot of the problem. It shows the wrong result coming from what I typed in the edit box (the preview in the picture is directly off of what is written in the edit box and no changes were made).

texprob001.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You tried all the usual stuff - clearing cache, refreshing window a half dozen times, etc?

Gokul43201 said:
You tried all the usual stuff - clearing cache, refreshing window a half dozen times, etc?

Yeah. The equation that it keeps displaying is from a while ago too.

I don't believe the LaTeX feature is designed for signatures. Partially because the post id is used for part of the images name. Obviously there is no post id when making a signature.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I don't believe the LaTeX feature is designed for signatures. Partially because the post id is used for part of the images name. Obviously there is no post id when making a signature.

But I've had the same problem making regular posts as well.

Math Jeans said:
But I've had the same problem making regular posts as well.

ok I would send chroot a little PM

I have the same problem. It first appeared when I entered to Greg's blog. I almost got a heart attack when I saw something written in Latex : it was exactly what I wrote in a homework thread! I was thinking "what a coincidence!" but then I realized further on the page other formulas that I wrote and started to understand what was going on : it's like whatever there is written in Latex, it will always appear something you saw before, or maybe something you wrote in Latex before. It happens since more than a week (maybe even 2 or 3 weeks) at least.

I think you only get the wrong image when you mess up the LaTeX code (and apparently when you try to use LaTeX in signatures). Example:

Fredrik said:
I had already previewed the page and it looked fine except that I had written e(ipx) instead of e^{ipx}. So I changed it and previewed again. The old image was still there. Refresh didn't help. Then I noticed that I had actually written e^{ipx). So I replaced the ) with a } and previewed again. This time it looked the way I intended it to. No refresh needed.

I think you only get the wrong image when you mess up the LaTeX code (and apparently when you try to use LaTeX in signatures). Example:

Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post

I had already previewed the page and it looked fine except that I had written e(ipx) instead of e^{ipx}. So I changed it and previewed again. The old image was still there. Refresh didn't help. Then I noticed that I had actually written e^{ipx). So I replaced the ) with a } and previewed again. This time it looked the way I intended it to. No refresh needed.

You're wrong. It might appear when you enter a wrong Latex code but it's not the cause. I don't think Greg's blog contains only wrong typed Latex code.
Check out the first post on this thread, Math Jeans typed \sigma and what appeared was \sqrt{4az_0}. Both are well typed Latex code.
Hence that's a really strange bug. :rolleyes:

Math Jeans, if you just need Greek characters you can copy-and-paste from here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=347
FYI, some characters look much better in boldface Times New Roman font

Mατη Jεανσ vs. Mατη Jεανσ

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, this problem has been discussed previously:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=273819
Redbelly98 said:
I just made a post with Latex and found that:
  • Refreshing in preview mode does not get rid of the old LaTex image
  • Refreshing after actually posting does get rid of the old image and displays the correct one.

At least this is the case in Firefox, the browser that I use.
Fredrik said:
I'm using Firefox too, and I don't have a problem with previews. Sometimes the wrong image shows up when I view what I just posted, but a refresh always takes care of that.

I really do think all of these kinds of problems are cache issues in the browser, but I don't know why some people seem to have recurrent problems and many others never have any. I'll try to reproduce some of these bugs myself, at least.

- Warren

1. What is LaTex and why is it used for scientific documents?

LaTex is a typesetting system used for creating high-quality scientific and technical documents. It is particularly useful for complex mathematical equations and symbols that are often found in scientific papers. LaTex also allows for easy formatting and organization of large documents.

2. How do I know if the issue I'm experiencing is a LaTex bug?

If you are having unexpected results or errors in your document, it could be a LaTex bug. However, it is important to rule out any errors in your coding first. Check for typos, missing packages, and any other common mistakes before assuming it is a LaTex bug.

3. How do I troubleshoot a LaTex bug?

The first step in troubleshooting a LaTex bug is to isolate the issue. Try to recreate the bug in a new document or in a minimal working example. This will help narrow down the source of the problem. Then, check for any errors or warnings in the LaTex log file. You can also search online for similar issues or consult with other LaTex users for help.

4. What are common causes of LaTex bugs?

There are several common causes of LaTex bugs, including incorrect syntax, missing or conflicting packages, use of outdated commands, and incompatible code. It is important to keep your LaTex software and packages up to date to avoid potential bugs.

5. How can I prevent LaTex bugs in the future?

To prevent LaTex bugs, it is important to have a good understanding of the LaTex syntax and to use proper coding techniques. It is also helpful to regularly update your LaTex software and packages. Additionally, keeping a record of the changes you make to your document can make it easier to troubleshoot any issues that may arise later on.