Do physicist uses pure maths or applied maths?

In summary, theoretical physicists use pure maths or applied maths to solve equations and problems. Applied maths is used when dealing with things that are not math, like engineering.
matttan
Do Theoretical physicist uses pure maths or applied maths?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the difference between using pure or applied maths? When you use math for something that's not math, you apply it... Also, theoretical physicists use quite a lot of differential geometry and algebraic topology which most certainly are nothing but big bunches of theorems and abstract ideas.

I would assume that every physicists uses the Pythagorean theorem and it is part of pure maths...

There's no sharp distinction between pure and applied math. Physicists use whatever math they need to, and invent new math if it hasn't already been invented.

... and sometimes even if it has.

Physicist apply pure math :)

will.c said:
... and sometimes even if it has.

A la Newton?

Pure/Applied math arn't very distinct in material, only intention of what you are doing.

by the meaning of the terms "pure" & "applied", which one do you think is used to uses?

It seems that as soon as you refer to dimensionable things, it's not pure math, but has been instead...applied.

(But that's just me. Wishing words to have meaning.)

The real question is - do engineers use pure or applied physics?

Mentallic said:
The real question is - do engineers use pure or applied physics?

Most don't remember either. OK, so it's applied--when used.

erm its because I want to do a double major in theoretical physics and mathematics and the university offers either pure mathematics or applied mathematics. So I am confuse which one to take to compliment theoretical physics. Any suggestions as to which mathematics(pure/applied) is more related to theoretical physics so that I could make the right decision?

At least at my uni courses in theoretical physics usually covered in hand-waving fashion the math that was required. Thus, taking pure maths helps understand the concepts. In my opinion pure maths is really the only thing worth taking. If you get the pure maths well, the applied side is usually pretty trivial to just pick up when you need it. However, this comes from someone going into Ph.D. studies in maths...

Phrak said:
It seems that as soon as you refer to dimensionable things, it's not pure math, but has been instead...applied.

(But that's just me. Wishing words to have meaning.)

That makes sense.

n = 3

Heh.

1. Do physicists primarily use pure math or applied math in their research?

The answer to this question varies depending on the specific field of physics. Some areas of physics, such as theoretical physics, heavily rely on pure mathematics to develop and test theories. Other areas, such as experimental physics, may use more applied mathematics to analyze and interpret data. In general, both pure and applied mathematics play important roles in the work of physicists.

2. Can a physicist work solely with pure math or applied math?

It is rare for a physicist to solely work with either pure or applied mathematics. Most research and experiments require a combination of both types of mathematics to fully understand and explain physical phenomena. However, some physicists may specialize in one type of math, depending on their specific research interests.

3. How does pure math benefit the work of physicists?

Pure mathematics provides the foundation for understanding and developing theories in physics. It allows physicists to create mathematical models that accurately represent the laws and principles of the physical world. Without pure math, many important theories and discoveries in physics would not be possible.

4. How does applied math play a role in physics?

Applied mathematics is used in physics to analyze and interpret experimental data, as well as to make predictions and solve real-world problems. It provides tools and techniques for physicists to make sense of complex data and make accurate calculations. Without applied math, it would be difficult for physicists to apply their theories to real-world situations.

5. Are physicists required to have a strong background in both pure and applied math?

While a strong foundation in both pure and applied mathematics is beneficial for a physicist, it is not always required. Some physicists may focus more on theoretical work and thus require a stronger background in pure math, while others may focus on experimental work and rely more on applied math. Ultimately, the specific math skills needed for a physicist will depend on their individual research interests and projects.