Unraveling Tensor Notation: Extracting Equations

In summary: If I'm not mistaken, this is a 3x3x3 cube which can be written out elementwise as\mathbf{R}(i,j,k) = a(i) b(j) c(k)Now, \tau is also a cube...and these somehow combine together to make a 3x3 matrix (ignoring the \epsilon which just control the sign or cancellation).To extract one of the equations it makes more sense for me to think about holding q and r constant. So let's say I choose q = r = 1. Ignoring the $\epsilon$ factors, I will try to sum over the rest...
junglebeast
I can't seem to wrap my mind around it. I understand the concept of it, but I can't figure out how to translate that concept into actually extracting the individual equations from tensor notation.

For example,

[tex]
a^i \: b^j \: c^k \: \epsilon_{jqs} \: \epsilon_{krt} \: \tau_i^{qr} = 0_{3 \times 3}
[/tex]

note that [tex]a,b,c[/tex] are [tex]3 \times 1[/tex] and [tex]\tau[/tex] is [tex]3\times 3 \times 3[/tex].

This represents 9 equations. I understand how to calculate the value of the http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PermutationSymbol.html" , but this is complicated by having both superscripts and subscripts, and I'm also not sure if the subscripts of [tex]\epsilon[/tex] count in Einstein summation. My biggest problem is that I don't understand the "method" that can be used to extract the actual equations out of this!

If someone could show me how to extract just 1 of the equations that would help a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
junglebeast said:
[tex]
a^i \: b^j \: c^k \: \epsilon_{jqs} \: \epsilon_{krt} \: \tau_i^{qr} = 0_{3 \times 3}
[/tex]

note that [tex]a,b,c[/tex] are [tex]3 \times 1[/tex] and [tex]\tau[/tex] is [tex]3\times 3 \times 3[/tex].

This represents 9 equations.

… this is complicated by having both superscripts and subscripts, and I'm also not sure if the subscripts of [tex]\epsilon[/tex] count in Einstein summation. My biggest problem is that I don't understand the "method" that can be used to extract the actual equations out of this!

If someone could show me how to extract just 1 of the equations that would help a lot

Hi junglebeast! :smile:

(btw, you needn't say [tex]a,b,c[/tex] are [tex]3 \times 1[/tex] and [tex]\tau[/tex] is [tex]3\times 3 \times 3[/tex] … it's obvious from the number of indices :wink:)

Yes, it's 9 equations, for each of the 3 values of s and t.

And yes, all subscripts and superscripts count, even in deltas and epsilons.

Extracting one of the 9 equations simply involves fixing say s = 2, t = 3, and summing over all the rest … doesn't that .pdf (which I haven't looked at) give any examples?

tiny-tim said:

(btw, you needn't say [tex]a,b,c[/tex] are [tex]3 \times 1[/tex] and [tex]\tau[/tex] is [tex]3\times 3 \times 3[/tex] … it's obvious from the number of indices :wink:)

Yes, it's 9 equations, for each of the 3 values of s and t.

And yes, all subscripts and superscripts count, even in deltas and epsilons.

Extracting one of the 9 equations simply involves fixing say s = 2, t = 3, and summing over all the rest … doesn't that .pdf (which I haven't looked at) give any examples?

Hi tim!

Let me start with something simpler...I'll try to show my process

[tex]
a^i b^j = R^{ij}
[/tex]

I understand how I can convert the above into linear algebra,

[tex]
\mathbf{a} \mathbf{b} ^\mathsf{T} = \mathbf{R}
[/tex]

...it's just the outer product. I could write this out elementwise as

[tex]
\mathbf{R}(i,j) = a(i) b(j)
[/tex]

(where parenthesis are used to indicate the indices)

Ok, so now I try to do this with 3 vectors. Written in tensor notation, it is

[tex]
a^i b^j c^k = R^{ijk}
[/tex]

If I'm not mistaken, this is a 3x3x3 cube which can be written out elementwise as

[tex]
\mathbf{R}(i,j,k) = a(i) b(j) c(k)
[/tex]

Now, [tex]\tau[/tex] is also a cube...and these somehow combine together to make a 3x3 matrix (ignoring the [tex]\epsilon[/tex] which just control the sign or cancellation).

To extract one of the equations it makes more sense for me to think about holding q and r constant. So let's say I choose q = r = 1. Ignoring the $\epsilon$ factors, I will try to sum over the rest...

[tex]
\sum_i \sum_j \sum_k \sum_s \sum_t a(i) \: b(j) \: c(k) \: \tau(i,q,r) = 0
[/tex]

Well that seems to contradict what I was doing earlier which did not have summations

junglebeast said:
Now, [tex]\tau[/tex] is also a cube...and these somehow combine together to make a 3x3 matrix (ignoring the [tex]\epsilon[/tex] which just control the sign or cancellation).

No, you've lost me here. :confused:

epsilon doesn't "just control the sign or cancellation" … it's an integral part of the summation, and all three of its indices have to be summed over.

Yes, Rijk is a 3x3x3 cube, and so are Rijk and so on …

in Cartesian coordinates, the "cubes" have the same entries except that some entries are multiplied by minus-one (though in other coordinate systems, it's more complicated).

(and I haven't followed your final question)

1. What is tensor notation?

Tensor notation is a mathematical notation system used to describe the properties and operations of tensors, which are multidimensional arrays of numbers. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and data science.

2. Why is tensor notation important?

Tensor notation allows for concise and consistent representation of complex equations involving tensors. It also helps to simplify calculations and make them more intuitive.

3. How do you extract equations from tensor notation?

To extract equations from tensor notation, you first need to identify the symbols and operations used in the notation. Then, you can use the properties and rules of tensor notation to manipulate the symbols and simplify the equations.

4. Can tensor notation be used for any type of tensor?

Yes, tensor notation can be used for any type of tensor, including scalars, vectors, matrices, and higher-order tensors. The notation system is designed to be flexible and applicable to a wide range of tensor operations.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when working with tensor notation?

One common mistake when working with tensor notation is using incorrect index notation, which can lead to errors in the equations. It is important to carefully track and match the indices when performing operations on tensors. It is also important to understand the order of operations in tensor notation, as it may differ from other mathematical notations.