Difference Between Analog and Digital Technology

In summary: Analog synthesizers use actual waves in real time to create sound. Digital synthesizers use mathematical models of actual waves and convert the data into audio waves.
modulus
A few days ago, I was reading an article on wikipedia about how musical synthesizers work and I read that initially analog technology was used and later digital technology began to be used.
What I uderstood from analog technology was that only one part of the sound was altered, which affected the sound produced as a whole. For example, we vary the frequency of the sound in such a way that it also changes the amplitude and the pitch, resulting in the emission of a completely new sound.
But, as I read ahead, I figured out that most modern synthesizers synthesize sounds through either 'FMS (Frequency Modulation Synthesis)' or 'PDS (Phase Distortion Synthesis)'. It told me that in FMS just by altering the frequency, we change the sound and in PDS it told me that just by altering the phase angle, the sound was synthesized. Yet, it called this form of synthesis digital technology.
I don't quite understand that, because isn't that the same thing as analog technology (we just alter one thing to synthesize the whole sound)?? So, what exactly is the difference between analog and digital technologies??
In case you need to check, this is the link of the article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthesizer

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Analog technology operated on actual waves in real time. Digital technology approximates waves and has a layer of software that allows the user to manipulate them as if they were real waves.

Hmmmm... that kind of cleared things up, but, what do you mean by 'operated on actual waves in real time'. The article had something about oscillators... how do those work??

modulus said:
Hmmmm... that kind of cleared things up, but, what do you mean by 'operated on actual waves in real time'. The article had something about oscillators... how do those work??

With analog the reason the noise changes is because you changed the properties of the circuit producing the signal. With digital you make a virtual model of a analog signal, manipulate it and then send it to your sound card to be converted from binary data into analog sound waves.

.. and by 'actual waves' I just mean physical. Waves are geometric ideas like circles, and anything real is quantized at some point, but they map to what is observed so well that it's just easier to think of them that way.

Last edited:

1. What is the main difference between analog and digital technology?

Analog technology uses continuous signals or data while digital technology uses discrete signals or data. This means that analog technology represents information in a smooth, continuous manner, while digital technology breaks it down into individual pieces of data.

2. Which one is better, analog or digital technology?

The answer depends on the specific application. Analog technology is better for tasks that require a high level of accuracy and precision, such as measuring temperature or pressure. Digital technology is better for tasks that require high speed and efficiency, such as data storage and transmission.

3. Can analog and digital technology be used together?

Yes, analog and digital technology can be used together in what is known as hybrid or mixed-signal systems. This allows for the advantages of both technologies to be utilized in a single system.

4. How does analog and digital technology affect sound and image quality?

Analog technology tends to provide a more natural and continuous sound or image quality, while digital technology can sometimes result in loss of data or a "pixelated" effect. However, digital technology has advanced significantly in recent years and can now produce high-quality sound and images that rival analog technology.

5. What are some examples of analog and digital technology?

Examples of analog technology include vinyl records, traditional cameras, and analog telephones. Examples of digital technology include digital cameras, smartphones, and digital televisions.